Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stargate: Universe  (Read 1266 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Stargate: Universe
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »

Discuss.

Spoiler: Opinion (click to show/hide)

Also, did they just end the series? Because that was an extremely lame way to do it.  :-\
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Stargate: Universe
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:11:38 pm »

It's called a mid-season break, and you can blame the SyFy executives for that one IIRC.

I just hope it lasts until the McKay cameo because... Because!

It's been slowly getting better, but it may be too late for them to turn the ratings around. Which is a shame because I really want to see where it goes.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:12:14 am »

It's called a mid-season break, and you can blame the SyFy executives for that one IIRC.

I just hope it lasts until the McKay cameo because... Because!

It's been slowly getting better, but it may be too late for them to turn the ratings around. Which is a shame because I really want to see where it goes.

There wasn't any "next time..." in the credits, so I just assumed.

They would actually put McKay in the show, even for just one episode? The dude was afraid of a fruit. Which means it would be awesome.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:38:03 am »

I caught a glance on TV of a tv series in which a group of people were in a doomed spaceship and had to cast lots to see who embarked on a shuttle to land in an unexplored planet. The cute girl, and many of the usual characters whom in a regular series you'd expect to survive, didn't win the contest, and got stuck in the doomed ship. I thought "How clever. What drama!"

Then the ship was saved by a deus ex machina. Turns out it wasnt the clever beggining of the series, but an one-episode disaster from Lamegate-Failverse.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 11:49:16 pm »

I caught a glance on TV of a tv series in which a group of people were in a doomed spaceship and had to cast lots to see who embarked on a shuttle to land in an unexplored planet. The cute girl, and many of the usual characters whom in a regular series you'd expect to survive, didn't win the contest, and got stuck in the doomed ship. I thought "How clever. What drama!"

Then the ship was saved by a deus ex machina. Turns out it wasnt the clever beggining of the series, but an one-episode disaster from Lamegate-Failverse.

Yeah, Deus Ex Machinas are generally lame, until
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 02:37:58 pm »

I'm currently grinding my way through SG-1. Just reached Season 8, and enjoying every minute. I'll be back once I've powered my way through the rest of SG-1, Atlantis and Universe. I'm looking forward to it!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:20:54 pm »

Sadly, it's already cancelled but hopefully we have a few episodes left. It was really getting interesting, especially when they get to know a bit more about the ship and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:16:35 pm »

The only reason it got canceled was due to feminists pushing giant boob-lady out of the picture. They demanded she be stronger and not a sex symbol. I believed she could be both. But the executives wanted the female demographic whereas we all know that mostly single men watch SF. I, for one, couldn't be bothered to catch the show on the tele but instead just watched it on Hulu because I knew that giant boob-lady wouldn't be wearing her tight shorts and t-shirt that shrunk in the wash anymore. No one wants to see an attractive woman buried under body armor.

That's why SG:U failed. 
Signature goes here.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:58:22 pm »

Er, no. It failed because the writing sucked and the actors weren't much better. Compare the 2 hour series premiere of Firefly with the entire first season of Stargate Universe. The first half season they do pretty much nothing at all. They spend most of it just getting safe drinking water and air over the course of something like 6 extremely boring episodes in which the only exciting bits in which people die are rendered moot due to time travel deux ex machina. They get nothing done and aren't even entertaining in the way they get said nothing done. It was as if the series was indefinitely waiting for something awesome to happen which never did. The first 8 episodes can be described as "We replaced the filters, refilled our water bottles, and didn't crash into a star we were never going to crash into in the first place." And don't even get me started on the horrible plot filler devices which were the communication stones.  >:(

Then there was the absolutely scattered character development. It was like the writers couldn't decide whether most of the characters were supposed to be passive-aggressive villains or characters the viewers were supposed to empathize with. A quote from the show itself seems to be most applicable description of it: "We weren't supposed to be the ones here."

Although granted I haven't watched more than a couple episodes of season 2, but I would assume it hasn't gotten much better based on the cancelling of the show after season 2 due to low ratings.

I'm currently grinding my way through SG-1. Just reached Season 8, and enjoying every minute. I'll be back once I've powered my way through the rest of SG-1, Atlantis and Universe. I'm looking forward to it!
There are some pretty good Atlantis ones, but I would suggest letting your expectations of Universe down slowly before you get to it.

Actually, it wasn't a one-episode disaster. They managed to waste 2 full episodes on it. It was originally going to be 1 episode, but it ran over by 20 minutes apparently, so instead of doing what a good writer would do and cut the crap it had been stuffed full of, they decided to add in another 23 minutes of crap to make up the difference and turn it into 2 episodes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:23:48 pm by alway »

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:27:22 am »

Yeah, but that was the episode where that one chick lost her pants.
Signature goes here.