Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evil Basement  (Read 1238 times)

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil Basement
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:58:49 pm »

So back in the day I used to play the Sims.

I'd meet Sim Women online and invite them over.

Once they were in my house I'd invite them to watch TV with me on the bottom floor.  I'd then walk away and get rid of the door.  Then I'd create a door that lead to my creepy basement full of dead and dying sims.

So I figure, why not do this in Dwarf Fortress?

You can simply tell all new immigrants to gather in a room on the other side of a drawbridge, pull a lever and they're all stuck in a basement.  Drop in some food, some weapons some water some goblins.

All while having a normally functioning fort above. 

Has anyone tried this? I'm really too lazy to play DF anymore  ::)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Basement
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »

I did that too, except usually with my Sim's own children.

Of course, it would be kind of cool to set up an Omelas-style fort...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:10:25 pm »

I've made a similar thing where all immigrants lived in a soil pit and grew the cheapest plants while those of them who proved they are awesome (made an artifact, survived epic fight etc.) were allowed into a stone fort which was deep in the earth and sealed from outside world. "Top" dwarves dropped food and booze down so dwarves of the bottom layer spent most of their time chatting and doing nothing. Of course all of them were legendary engravers and I had an awesome army of champions in ultimate armor down there, just for kicks. While "top" dwarves were fighting naked with wooden crossbows and bone bolts. It won't work in the current version though :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »

I've made a similar thing where all immigrants lived in a soil pit and grew the cheapest plants while those of them who proved they are awesome (made an artifact, survived epic fight etc.) were allowed into a stone fort which was deep in the earth and sealed from outside world. "Top" dwarves dropped food and booze down so dwarves of the bottom layer spent most of their time chatting and doing nothing. Of course all of them were legendary engravers and I had an awesome army of champions in ultimate armor down there, just for kicks. While "top" dwarves were fighting naked with wooden crossbows and bone bolts. It won't work in the current version though :D.
Why not?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

Because wood and bone bolts are near-useless now, and the only way they could kill a goblin wearing as much as a silk cloak is with a lucky throat-shot.  The "Top Dwarves" would be wiped out by the first ambush.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:11 pm »

Mod bones to be decent perhaps.

Or allow them to use the weapons they take off the goblins they kill.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:37:19 am »

Is nobody else deeply disturbed at how well that would work in real life?

Is nobody else deeply disturbed that they immediately realized how well that would work in real life, recognized the most glaring flaws, and began correcting them to form a plan that, while by no means foolproof, could become so through more fleshing out?

...No?

Shit.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:41:21 am »

Is nobody else deeply disturbed that they immediately realized how well that would work in real life, recognized the most glaring flaws, and began correcting them to form a plan that, while by no means foolproof, could become so through more fleshing out?

...No?

Shit.
The reason its no is because this game is turning us into the humans that will survive any disaster and allow the human race to survive, as a self sufficient communist community under a mountain while the mutants beat at the gates.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:34 am »

or get torn to shreds by our serrated disc traps

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 03:01:01 am »

...No?

Shit.

Actually...I did.