Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Coal Mine Fires  (Read 2541 times)

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Mine Fires
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 04:19:15 pm »

DMSA does that: chelates mercury into a state that is easier to remove from the body.

Dwarves, with their enormous and vastly superior livers, don't need to worry about it.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 04:21:17 pm »

There was a poster who had a very large and interesting suggestion to basically turn Dwarves into some non-anthropomorphic creature that only vaguely resembles a little bearded man.   Their skeletons were reinforced with whatever metals their 'beard' sucked in, etc, so they'd be made of adamantine if they worked around it long enough.   It was impractical for the game, of course, but still had some cool ideas.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »

There was a poster who had a very large and interesting suggestion to basically turn Dwarves into some non-anthropomorphic creature that only vaguely resembles a little bearded man.   Their skeletons were reinforced with whatever metals their 'beard' sucked in, etc, so they'd be made of adamantine if they worked around it long enough.   It was impractical for the game, of course, but still had some cool ideas.

To tie all that back to the topic, the coal miners would track coal dust all over the fort, resulting in most dwarves having coal laced bones.  Fun.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »

To tie all that back to the topic, the coal miners would track coal dust all over the fort, resulting in most dwarves having coal laced bones.  Fun.

Good funerary pyres...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 05:01:29 pm »

Maybe this belongs in suggestions.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

I also like the idea of the beard having its own sentience and hunger for microcline dust, or whatever else you'd rather not have in your fort. Imagine it gobbling up pebbles like the many-tendriled FSM of yore.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 05:48:54 pm »

the cocept of a self advancing organisim that adapts to is environment by utilizing local materials in a very interesting concept that is actualy utilized somewhat in nature like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaly-foot_gastropod this many other examples probobly exist but are as of yet unknown
may your lċnem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 01:47:28 am »

I also read that the amount of CO2 being ejected by that one volcano in Greenland (or was it iceland?) is ejecting many times more CO2 than the entire human race and all of its mistakes combined. Is this true, in your opinion?

Not true.  False.

Volcanos: 200,000,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.
Human activity: 26,800,000,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.

Comparison: less than one percent.

Source: USGS Hawai'i.  See also ↑2, ↑3 for some actual logical thinking about the proposition.

I swear, sometimes I believe there is an actual conspiracy to deny global warming.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 03:13:57 am »

Edit:  Dwarves' stats should be based on blood levels of various poisonous heavy metals.

Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, Uranium..
Mercury, Plutonium, Jaywalking...

Interesting, I know that the major problem with heavy metal ions is that they are too large to pass through some of a body's filtration membranes, thus they collect in very important organs like the liver, kidneys, etc. Many people who have suffered advanced mercury poisoning are in such a detestable state, and as far as I know, medical science can do nothing to help them due to the compartmental nature of these organs. If there were some way to cause the body to treat these toxins as a building material, say, by introducing a protein which catalyzes or chelates them into a handleable molecule and allows macro-transport out of the body somehow (when a macrophage is 'full' does it die, or how does it make its way out as waste? Do they bypass selectively-permeable membranes in this process? Are they simply re-eaten by other macrophages? How does this result in a net reduction of toxic content?) Imagine if we could chelate mercury(I) ions with a large number of iron atoms or keratin grains, such that they would form nodules that could be mechanically removed, even if at the cost of a small percentage of healthy liver tissue?

I think we are too busy trying to get theta defensins(silly spellcheck!) to activate at birth to figure out how to stop our slow path to earth having all red/cyan wounds. :-\
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 04:37:27 am »

I also read that the amount of CO2 being ejected by that one volcano in Greenland (or was it iceland?) is ejecting many times more CO2 than the entire human race and all of its mistakes combined. Is this true, in your opinion?

Not true.  False.

Volcanos: 200,000,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.
Human activity: 26,800,000,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.

Comparison: less than one percent.

Source: USGS Hawai'i.  See also ↑2, ↑3 for some actual logical thinking about the proposition.

I swear, sometimes I believe there is an actual conspiracy to deny global warming.

Oh dear. I am suddenly awash in the feeling that conservatives have been lying to me... Again.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 11:22:52 am »

Oh dear. I am suddenly awash in the feeling that conservatives have been lying to me... Again.

The Liberals lie, too (I'm one, but I try not to intentionally misinform anyone)...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 07:47:04 pm »

So does Obama. Now that that has been said, [FLAME_WAR].
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 [2]