Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a fishing area  (Read 591 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up a fishing area
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:14 pm »

My recent embark is going well. I like my recent fortress design very much, my first and second migrant wave was unbelievably lucky (the dwarves of note was a high master mason, high master grower, novice swordsdwarf, and an accomplished metalsmith!). A modded in race that traded during the first autumn brought me a tigerman, and by early spring I have walled off the caverns, with two quick working masons. Things were looking good.

However, here's a problem - food. I'm using the seasonal crop mod, and my grand irrigation design failed to finish irrigating before summer(seasonal crops only allows planting of the majority of the plants in spring). Food is running low, especially since the latest migrant wave composed of a ton of the usual lye makers, fish dissectors, fishers and fish cleaners. Then, I remembered I had a stream that was at the bottom right corner of the map. I immediately sent the fisher and cleaner to fish. However, I'm afraid of ambushes, and the fishers have to walk half the map to the stream. So I'm wondering, could I pump the water via an underwater aqueduct half the map into an underground cistern, and fish from that?

If tl;dr: Will vermin fish spawn in an underground cistern a long way away from the stream that the water came from?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a fishing area
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:08 pm »

Vermin ignore physics.  Where most animals reproduce by spores, vermin actually are spore by design.  This is why my solitary confinement dwarf is always accosted by terrible vermin.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:47:11 am »

I've had similar problems; my solution is a bit more roundabout, but seeing as how you're considering building an aqueduct, maybe you'll like it?

Step 1: dig a tunnel to the stream.

Step 2: using walls and floors on the level above, build a little boxed-in area around the stream that's only accessible from the tunnel you dug to the stream.

Step 3: set the tunnel as high traffic, designate zone-only fishing and make a zone inside your bunker, and enjoy indoor fishing in safety.

Here's a few screenies to demonstrate my method:

In this shot, you see how I've built an artificial wall (at the bottom of the screen) to limit access to the outside world.  I was fortunate to find a part of the stream that ran between two cliffs, but if you're not, simply build a bridge from your tunnel side to the other side, and build a wall on the opposite end.  You'll notice my tunnel opens up from one of the cliff faces right onto the river.  I'm lucky enough for this to be a brook, so I don't need to install a pier or anything, or even a bridge for them to reach the other side.

Since you only need a single roof, once the perimeter wall is done, build a ramp and then roof the thing using constructed floors, like so:

In the interest of not getting killed, I recommend making EVERYONE you can spare a mason; you'd be amazed how fast 20 dabbling masons will put this together.  If you have a decent military, station them there for the construction.

It's a bit of work, yes, but I find it's both simpler to set up than an aqueduct and cistern, and carries no risk of Fun through flooding.

EDIT: if you're not above using DFHack to cheat, you could use their auto-dump program to help.  Designate a bunch of stones you want to use for dumping, then use the program to dump them at the building site, to minimize hauling.  I prefer to take the risk of attack, but just throwing it out there in case your style is different.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:49:07 am by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:54:30 am »

That is one heck of a post! Good job and thanks  :D