Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ruh Roh  (Read 1261 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ruh Roh
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »

Got my first forgotten beast. massive, 8-legged sauropod attacked my soldiers, miners and builders as they were trying to extend the main stairwell through the second cavern level.

By the way, my fortress? 18 dwarves. I thought FBs started showing at 80?

Anyway, fight didn't last long, seeing as my military were still equipped with training axes- I'd really only sent them there to bring the war dogs along, as the last time I breached a cavern level I got what was apparently the large rat equivalent of a streaker at a football game- ran through my fortress and made all my dwarves cancel their jobs.

So, yeah... Military got ripped apart, went back to an earlier save. I'll let you know what happens when I meet it with some actual force, next time.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ruh Roh
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

You dug too deep.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:57:37 pm »

Forgotten beasts care not a bit about how many dwarves are in your fortress. They're plenty happy to rip holes in a fledgling.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »

I got what was apparently the large rat equivalent of a streaker at a football game- ran through my fortress and made all my dwarves cancel their jobs.

sigged lol  :D
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »

Don't prepare for that specific beast again. They're randomly selected from the ones in your legends list and you'll almost certainly get a completely different one, even more deadly than the last. They ARE on a schedule though, so it'll arrive at roughly the same time. Best hope is to wall things off so it can't attack, then set a series of cave-ins to trap it in a section of the caverns so you can drop goblins in with it and enjoy the display.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »

I think it was already on-map at the time of the save- I got the "has arrived" message when it entered explored space. I'll know for sure when I actually explore that level.

Second try went fine. Reassigned my military and all idlers as masons, tore through and walled off the stairwell before anything could get to me.

I like to imagine what my fort must look like to a cavern explorer... Walls and pilliars of limestone, somtimes for or five a-levels high, sometimes just barely appearing at all, always melding back into natural rock without a single opening.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.