Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A fluid pressure Question  (Read 686 times)

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A fluid pressure Question
« on: July 22, 2010, 05:38:24 pm »

A question that I have not seen the answer to in the wiki or various guides on here.

~ Tiles are Water.

Top view,  level : 0

Row
##########     1
~~########     2
##~~~~##?#     3
##########     4 

Side View of Row : 3

Level
##########    1
##~~~~##?#    0
#####~~~~#    -1
##########     -2

^^
Those two tiles on level 0 would contain water in a side view of row 2.

Will the water flow into the '?' Tile ? The important thing to note here is the diagonal that neutralizes the pressure.
In my fortress it does not flow and fill up tile '?' on level 0. I guess the 'logic' here is that the flow out the diagonal is not pressurized enough to reach the same level.

Does the source of the water coming in from the left matter. Or is what the wiki says true and water pressure is reset from whatever it was before ?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 07:37:10 pm by Arihim »

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A fluid pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »

Water's natural pressure will only allow it to move to a space on a(n orthogonally connected) lower z-level.  So if the top of the water system is at z0, the water will only ever come up to z-1 on its own.  So if I'm reading it right, the diagonal is only related insofar as it disconnects any other sources of pressure.

Remember that "not pressurized enough" and "water pressure is reset from" are the wrong way to think about it;  Pressure isn't some value that's stored anywhere, it's just a rule of how water in one place may move to another.

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

Water's natural pressure will only allow it to move to a space on a(n orthogonally connected) lower z-level.  So if the top of the water system is at z0, the water will only ever come up to z-1 on its own.  So if I'm reading it right, the diagonal is only related insofar as it disconnects any other sources of pressure.

Ah I have missed this point somewhere. Thanks buddy.

Remember that "not pressurized enough" and "water pressure is reset from" are the wrong way to think about it;  Pressure isn't some value that's stored anywhere, it's just a rule of how water in one place may move to another.

I'm not sure about this. Is there only one algorithm that deals with fluid flow ? Does it take into account pumps and dammed rivers ?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:01 pm »

The water behind that diagonal passage will not be pymp-pressurized, hence it will behave like regular water. Last time I checked water can flow up a vertical U bend, while magma cant. If you dont want it to flow up to '?' then you have to put a diagonal passage at level -1.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:38:16 pm »

My mistake. Diagram was screwed. Sorry everyone, might want another look now.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »

I figured that there was a slight mistake in the diagram, don't worry.

I'm not sure about this. Is there only one algorithm that deals with fluid flow ? Does it take into account pumps and dammed rivers ?

I'll admit that it's a slightly pedantic nitpick in definitions, but the only value of "pressure" is how many tiles of water (or magma, under certain circumstances) are positioned to use the relevant pathfinding rules at any given time.

Basically, being pumped or spawned from a river are very different matters from what "flowing" water does on its own; They aren't just replacing water that flows out of the immediate output square, it's moving it/spawning it into connected unfilled squares.

Kanddak's excellent Hydrodynamics Education thread is a must-read for anyone interested in any kind of fluid engineering.  His Two Experiments with a Major River thread provides further insight into the behavior of rivers, and on the damming thereof.