Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performance on Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2131 times)

Performance on Dwarf Fortress
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:00:05 pm »

I've never encountered any performance issues on Dwarf Fortress, however, none of my forts have ever had a high population then say... 20 total critters. (Including dwarfs, cats, dogs etc etc). Based on the specs listed below is there anyone that could gage my computers ability on handling larger forts with like 50 or so plus dwarfs?

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.00GHz
Ram: 3.00GB
OS 32-bit Vista
Video Card: ATI X1250 (128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 Vertex Shader 2.0) -- integrated

I've tried doing Adventure mode where I encounter a slight lag.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Performance on Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:16 pm »

The best way to answer your question is to try, getting ~50 dwarfs is easy, if you set up a proper economy you'll be flooded with migrants within a few hours of gameplay.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:41:47 pm »

My computer has a similar processor speed, although I don't know how AMD differs from Intel. With ~50 Dwarfs, I don't get slowed down to the point of unplayability, I think. I can't remember the last time I got 50 dwarfs, and I certainly haven't on .31.xx yet, because I've not yet really worked at a fortress on .31.xx. Still, from what I remember of 40d, I didn't get horrible slow down.

I thought (for awhile) that the caverns were eating up fps on .31, but then I realized that I had modded 40d with [SPEED:1] and had yet to do so for .31. So... yeah.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Urist McFumbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 07:49:46 pm »

It really depends on what you consider as lag.

For some anything below 50 FPS is considered lagging. Whereas I have seen threads where the player has only 2 FPS and still continues playing.

I think your PC will be hard pressed with 50 dwarfs (25 FPS and below) but it also depends on a couple of factors:-

1) The size of your embark, 5x5 is a killer, 3x3 or 2x2 might help;
2) The number of z levels you have uncovered and dug. The more z levels and rooms the more lag you will encounter this is due to the pathfinding issues;
3) The number of roaming animals you have, the more you have the worse it will be;
4) The number of items you have, more bins, more barrels, more items, more anything makes it worse.

Good luck

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:06:40 am »

Hey, same specs and i get 15-20 fps at 70 dwarves.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:10:31 am »

Anything above 8 is great in my book, thanks, most of this is all reassuring.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:55:59 am »

1) The size of your embark, 5x5 is a killer, 3x3 or 2x2 might help;
2) The number of z levels you have uncovered and dug. The more z levels and rooms the more lag you will encounter this is due to the pathfinding issues;
3) The number of roaming animals you have, the more you have the worse it will be;
4) The number of items you have, more bins, more barrels, more items, more anything makes it worse.

5) the number of ambushers/thieves on the map.
I found the "are we spotted yet?" checks to be a huuuge drain on FPS too.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!