Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just got my first Mega Beast (40d)  (Read 1663 times)

FreakinSatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just got my first Mega Beast (40d)
« on: July 17, 2010, 09:44:45 pm »

I was training my military up with screw pumps and got a dragon, I sent all my dwarves inside and pulled the lever that raised my 2 draw bridges, blocking my entrances. At this point I was ecstatic. "Finally! I have my first mega beast, not only that, but I'm somewhat ready for him!" as an extra cherry on top, he slaughtered an elven caravan when he spawned. So I started getting my military together when, on top of a dragon, a titan showed up. Well shit, I though. This isn't gonna be very easy, especially  considering that I had no weapons for my military. Then, to top it all off. The Baron showed up. "Well at least the baron will get killed by one of the two mega beasts out there." I hoped, since I had only 1 noble room ready (For the dungeon master, who hadn't showed up yet, but did with the baron) but, of course they just stood around the corner of the map doing nothing.

So, getting ready to have a whole lotta Fun, I rallied my weaponless army (They had full steel armor and were atleast called wrestlers don't know how much of the skill they had), assigned my war animals to my squad leader, and opened the gates, the dragon came in and I immediately shut the gates again to keep it one at a time. My army proceeded to wrestle the dragon...... to death. It wasn't all that clean though, a planter was thrown into the river I was using for a make shift moat, and the fire killed alot of civilians that were just kinda standing around the middle of the base that the dragon ran to. Well, feeling somewhat confident I butcher'd the dragon and got ready to take on the titan, but at this point, I had lost over half my army. Not just from deaths either, alot of um went melancholy. So now with only 3 men instead of 10, and no war animals I got them ready to make a suicide rush, lowered the bridge AAAAAAAND............... The titan got caught in a cage trap that the dragon avoided. Victory!

Now I have to arrange an unfortunate accident hope the baron doesn't mind all the dead bodies while I make his room all nice and shiny.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first Mega Beast (40d)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »

*sighs* Why do things like this never happen to me?

I've gotten three megabeasts in my career- two titans and a zombie dragon. Both titans stumbled into cage traps within seconds of arrival and lived out the rest of their lives in the arena, and the zombie dragon got killed by a goblin siege. Only took one of them down with it, too.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »

my first tian was a dragon, i wasnt prepared for it at all

the horrors

-shivers-

tip: booze + fire = pipe bomb = bad
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

FreakinSatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:56 am »

my first tian was a dragon, i wasnt prepared for it at all

the horrors

-shivers-

tip: booze + fire = pipe bomb = bad

Normally I wouldn't of been ready for even an ambush yet, I hadn't been playing this fort for to long. I just kinda lucked out this time.

mardukarn

• Bay Watcher
  • Urgescourges the Ungodly Fiend of Juices
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

The first time I got a dragon (in 40d) I, too, was very excited. I closed my drawbridge, sealing off my fort. The dragon ran to the entrance and breathed fire on my two outdoor farm plots. Curse him! So while everyone's safe inside the fort and I'm preparing my soldiers to go outside for an epic battle, I hit 'u' and check to see where he's gone to. He's dead. Wha??! I have no idea what killed him but he must have died in only seconds. My guess is a caravan got him. Talk about anti-climatic.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:08:37 pm »

The first time I got a dragon (in 40d) I, too, was very excited. I closed my drawbridge, sealing off my fort. The dragon ran to the entrance and breathed fire on my two outdoor farm plots. Curse him! So while everyone's safe inside the fort and I'm preparing my soldiers to go outside for an epic battle, I hit 'u' and check to see where he's gone to. He's dead. Wha??! I have no idea what killed him but he must have died in only seconds. My guess is a caravan got him. Talk about anti-climatic.

Possibly he burned to death in the fire he started.  (By the vanilla rules, dragons are immune to dragon fire but not to ordinary fire).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

FreakinSatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:40 am »

Haha, I actually got a second dragon that I caught in a cage trap, but not before it chased a donkey around and burned down all my trees. Then a seige, but I had champions at that point that ripped the seige apart.......... then one of my titles champions got killed by a carp. :|

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:09:04 am »

Megabeasts in 40d tend to be anticlimactic. My first was a dragon. I had dozens of open holes in my fort from various construction projects, but it went for the heavily-fortified front entrance anyway. My entire military, save one half-trained marksdwarf, was off carousing, so I prepared for Fun. I hadn't counted on the dragon being suicidal, though. The first thing it did was walk down a tunnel and destroy the floodgate holding back the lake.

It managed to outrun the flood, and decided to get serious. Apparently for this dragon, serious meant tethered animals. It killed three sentry dogs and burned the hell out of my front lawn before finally deciding to approach the gates.

This entire time, that one marksdwarf had been firing at the dragon from the second-story battlements, missing every shot. (I believe everyone else was launching into a second round of drinks at this point.) As the dragon drew closer to the entrance, I began to prepare for the worst--and the dragon dropped dead. The first bolt that hit him went straight to his heart and killed him instantly.

My second megabeast was when I reloaded that fort. (The dragon showed up during an experiment I had no intention of saving.) It was a bronze colossus, and my wrestlers had it pinned for over a month before an axelord decided to step in. Rather disappointing, but it did make a nice statue to add to my meeting hall.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:46 am »

My first megabeast was a dragon.
She came missing an eye. Still very dangerous, I thought, so I hoped a cage trap would catch it. It did.
I was ecstatic once the dungeon master tamed it. I quickly built an arena for it. The one time I got to use it was with a captured goblin pedophile thief. Once the cages were opened, the dragon, with all the haste one would expect from a megabeast, fell asleep.

Apparently that missing eye meant my pet dragon was a narcoleptic.
Anyway, the goblin tried to escape and was turned into about 12 tiles' worth of gore by the weapon traps.

Not half an hour after that, the dragon passed out on a weapon trap loaded with 10 serrated steel discs.

Side note: My tame hydra had a kickass arena built for him. When I released him and a kobold thief from their cages, the hydra didn't attack at all. I had to remove the lever-operated door and have my champions turn it into paste.
Is there some reason the hydra just stood there that I'm not aware of?
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:47:11 am »

My first dragon in 40d lost both of his eyes to a spiked iron ball and died shortly thereafter. He didn't even have the chance to breathe fire on anybody.

My usual method of dealing with anything (sieges, titans, minotaurs) was to construct a tower, and then have a raised causeway circling that tower 10 or so tiles away. Once a bridge was drawn up escape was impossible, and my marksdwarves could slaughter anything that walked onto the thing.

FreakinSatan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 11:25:48 am »

Yeah, I see what you guys are saying about dragons. I got another one not long after a seige, and it got caught in a cage trap (After chasing a donkey around and burning down all my trees) So I took the dragon, tamed him, the titan, and a goblin theif and put it in alittle flood chamber, linked all the cages to traps and let um out. The titan immediately ran over and slaughtered the dragon, and I guess titans and goblins are BFFs, because he wouldn't attack him. so I just flooded it and killed them both.

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:57 pm »

My first MegaBeast back in 40d was not only a dragon, but a skeletal dragon!
I immediately panicked, as my dwarves had little armor and few weapons (about 7-10 legendary wrestlers, which is still godlike for 40d I suppose)
I raised the drawbridge, ordered everyone inside, and wanted to wait till the dragon got closer. Unfortunately, due to a design flaw, my fort was filling with water from my Trade Depot's Drown feature, and the only way to release it was through the drawbridge.

It essentially became a choice, either hope my dwarves can kill a skeletal dragon, or see if the water stops. I decided to go out fighting. I checked back on the skeletal dragon.

It had hardly moved.

Turns out it was missing it's front right leg and rear left leg and was sloooowly limping to my fort.
I sent my wrestlers out right as it got to the front of the fort, they dispatched it in a cloud of smoke from the dragon fire, not a single one of them were injured, and even my dwarves gawking from the entrance weren't hurt by the dragon fire.

I was sort of disappointed. :-\

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:56 am »

I hacked off about 8 hydra heads in all of 3 seconds. only bothered to send in a couple of dwarfs because i wanted to build up their killing records abit.