Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unfortunate accidents  (Read 692 times)

mgrinshpon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEMI_INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Unfortunate accidents
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:50 am »

I'm looking for ideas on how to kill cull drown make nobles slip into a flooded room while not looking. How does everyone cause unfortunate accidents to pesky valued nobles?
Ilu escaped the underworld, fooled humans into believing incarnation of deity Maga Incestmaze. That diety is associated with depravity, lies, treachery, and trickery.  Made lawgiver.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Unfortunate accidents
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:23:07 am »

One of my old ones was baiting the noble with a lever at the end of a corridor lined with spike traps. Another lever, preferably pulled by his wife, repeatedly perforates him as he walks to the lever.

Won't work so well in 2010, though.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:44 am »

I use a 5x5 room with a water inlet and a water outlet, and a door.  I put a floodgate on both inlet and outlet.  I link those to two levers outside the room.  Then I put wall grates in front of each floodgate, to prevent corpses and loot the deceased's possessions from washing out of the room.  Then, in the center of the room, I put a lever connected to nothing.  I assign the lever to the victim and set the lever to be pulled.  While the victim pulls the lever, I lock the door.  I then direct other Dwarves to pull the levers appropriately to fill the room, and then to empty the room after the victim has drowned.

You could somewhat automate that by having the useless lever close a floodgate instead of you locking a door, to keep the victim inside.  You could even link it to the inlet floodgate to start the flooding.  You still need to do the draining yourself because it takes variable lengths of time to drown the victims.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

I use a drowning chamber as well, but I have it fill and drain from one level pull.  block the entrances with raising bridges and have the water inlet blocked by a retracting bridge and have them all linked to one lever outside the room.  Have a lever not linked to anything in the room, assign your volunteer and set the lever to be pulled repeatedly, as soon as Urist McDeaddwarf comes in and starts yanking on the handle have another dwarf come along and pull the lever to flood the room.  After Urist is deceased pull lever again to drain the room.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:59:29 pm »

Before I knew about assigning people to levers, I always used to build their bed inside in drowning chamber, then wait for them to get tired...  :P

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 03:46:37 pm »

I assume you can assign nobles to burrows.

In my current fort I've got a retracting bridge over a volcano with a burrow in the middle of the bridge called "Sacrifice to Armok"

The volcano gets probably 3/5 of my migrants :S

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »

In the previous version my favorite method was the long, narrow bridge over a pit that connected to a 1x1 'booth' containing the control lever.  The target crosses the bridge, pulls the lever and starts to cross back... the lucky ones died from the fall.

Now I think I'd just use a burrow and assign them to the Cavern Explorers Club.  Of course for the protection of the fortress they must be sealed outside, with only their wits to defend themselves from the roaming flocks of dralthas and so on.  I mean, they trekked across the wilderness without so much as a pocket knife or copper plate to defend themselves with, so they'll be fine.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:37:54 pm »

In my current fort there is a natural chasm linking the first and second cavern. Its a very, very deep pit.

There is a bridge over that pit. There is a burrow assigned over the bridge, and a lever linked to the bridge.

:D

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 06:20:01 pm »

/X=====X

The / is a lever assigned to a specific dwarf, X's are doors which can be forbidden, and the area between is a retractable bridge over some kind of ridiculous drop. This is linked to a lever somewhere else.