Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spiral Ramp?  (Read 6897 times)

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spiral Ramp?
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:07 am »

I saw a wonderful idea to have a spiral style main shaft with a support at the base ready to explode the whole thing to smithereens.  Excellent idea, however my dwarves seem to fail at carving it out.  Does anyone have a successful floor plan of this that I could see?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Ramp?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:07:51 am »

Code: [Select]
z-0
>|
z-1
.v
.|
Et cetera, et cetera. > and v is the direction of the ramp, | is a wall. No, ramps can't be rotated, just saying that before someone asks - I'm showing the direction the dorf will walk in. Place ramp, place wall right next to it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 09:28:51 am »

I saw a wonderful idea to have a spiral style main shaft with a support at the base ready to explode the whole thing to smithereens.  Excellent idea, however my dwarves seem to fail at carving it out.  Does anyone have a successful floor plan of this that I could see?

Check out the community fort Ardentdikes on [ur=http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php]DFMA[/url], that one was very helpful to me in understanding spiral rampways.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:51:21 am »

I use several spiral ramps in my fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9123-roadsaviors

DeathToGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:40 am »

Hyndis: Why do you have the extra floor space behind the wall that the up-ramps go to?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

For the middle ramps?

That was due to, err...poor planning.   :-[

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »

Check out the community fort Ardentdikes on [ur=http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php]DFMA[/url], that one was very helpful to me in understanding spiral rampways.

The way I made that spiral ramp was to use a quickfort circle blueprint and then just add the channels/ramps, then removed the dig designations. You don't have to use a circle though, a square works too. But in my opinion having an initial area blueprint is essential.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »

Hm...I could actually put in an ammo stockpile on that middle spiral staircase. You can access the area behind the ramp just fine. I'm not sure how useful it would be but its definitely a possibility. Would put that space to use. Either that or more coffins.

You can never have too many coffins ready!  :D

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:01 pm »

This is the ramp design I use:

Outer ring of red is the actual ramp, this is where dwarves walk. Blue squares are where you carve ramps. In my forts, I have one quarter of this ring pr. level, channelling out the rest.

The ring of white inside of that is channelled space. This is simply a pit because I like pits.

The inner ring of red are fortifications.

The inner circle of white is a pillbox. I have up/down staircases going in a + inside of that, leading all the way up to the top of the ramp. My entrance is about 8 z-levels down from the top, which means that if the entrance is ever breached, my marksdwarves will have a hayday of machinegunning.

When completed, a level (with fully smoothed walls) looks something like this:

(The stairway in the picture is 2 tiles too wide by accident, but I followed through with it all fort, so it still works just fine.)

It would not be impossible to have 2 stairways going across from each other at the same time either.

However, this is not a design you should use if you want your fort to be efficient by any means. This design is big, clunky and has lots of wasted space when walking up it. It is only so big because I think it looks good, and I don't mind that it's a tad inefficient if it looks good.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:44:38 pm by Miggy »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:15 pm »

I have the same entrance design in my current fortress, except square. I originally had a tower with fortifications in the middle where my trade depot is, but as this is a 31.08 fortress marksdwarves do not work, and so I ended up demolishing the crossbow tower.

It was just a very simply 3x3 tower. Center was up/down stairs, walls were fortifications. I had a point on the top and another one on the bottom. Marksdwarves would patrol up and down the stairs, providing firing coverage to the entirety of the spiral ramps.