Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tile flashes after metal modding  (Read 420 times)

Kobold-Althalus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I transfer ownership of babies.
    • View Profile
Tile flashes after metal modding
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:51:37 pm »

Hello all, i had recently picked up the newest version of DF for windows (0.31.10 at time of writing), and modded it to my likings, a list of what i changed is following (excerpts in spoilers)

Adding my old graphics tileset ex. Init and Art modding (missing doctor among other things, been around since v0.27.176.38c) (yes yes, tileset are weak :P)

Added an entry to inorganic_metal (appropriately named, Haxmetal)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Added a few smelter reactions for free objects (haxmetal x10 and x100, 10 soap, 10 plaster, 10 bit. coal)

Added said reactions to entity_default (mountain)

After these changes, i noticed a strange quirk: several of the tiles outdoors flashed between different floor tiles at a rate too fast to read. They changed colors and names; even an anthill changed color rapidly.

Also, 3 layers down were made of "Rock" no modifier, not sure if this is a bug or merely a change in the new version. In previous versions i learned that this means it was created without a proper matgloss, such as making a "Bar"

I may have made a mistake in the reactions (I don't fully grasp the mat-path system yet, i don't even know the proper name >_<) but i don't think smelter reactions would affect that.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Althalus

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Tile flashes after metal modding
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »

Make sure you don't accidentally have duplicate raws. Duplicates typically cause flashing like that.

-edit-

Reactions wouldn't cause effects like that, but to just be on the safe side, make sure you don't have duplicates of those either.

If you have made any new files make sure at the top of the file it has the file name in lower case letters without the .txt

reaction_smelter.txt <--- file name

---------------
reaction_smelter <--- this has to be at the top.

OBJECT:REACTION

BLAHREACTIONS
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:01:04 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Kobold-Althalus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I transfer ownership of babies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »

I noticed i have a "inorganic_metal.txt.bak" would that be significant at all?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »

I wouldn't think so, because of the .bak file extension. However, I would try removing any and all .bak files.

It just eliminates a potential problems.

Process of elimination.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:55:15 am »

Actually, DF seems to load anything with ".txt" in the filename, not just at the end. vim's "whatever.txt.swp" temp files cause it to yark 'cause they're binary, for example.

Spoiler: Vim Users? (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure if blah.txt~ (unix backup) yarks it too or if it's the dot after txt that counts.