Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Confessions Thread  (Read 5000 times)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Confessions Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 02:45:46 am »

I created a grand fortress.  Rooms for 100+ dwarves all on one level and more in the works.  Large stockpiles and workshops on another level.
This was my masterpiece in my newbie days.  And finally, I decided I was ready.  I got mechanisms made and a room dug out, ready to begin work on my dwarf-made waterfall.
My first one ever built.

Some amazing waterfall. My first channel went right through the wall separating a hallway on my dorm floor and the underground river. I've never failed so hard in my life.
The floor began flooding at an astounding rate and I began setting orders to build walls.  Continuously the dwarves would wait too long to start on the job. 
Failure. They turned and ran.

Finally, I had a brilliant idea.  We should remove a wall and allow the water to drain out of the bedroom areas and run in to wall it up with the water gushing out.
The water didn't drain fast enough.
I flooded the map.
Screw you, FPS.

A year and a new, 6 month fort later and I've never tried water manipulation on that scale again.
Especially not now with having to pull water up 40+ z levels.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 02:53:10 am »

Code: [Select]
▲                             ▲
▲                             ▲
▲▲                            ▲
  ▲                       ▲▲▲▲▲
  ▲                       ▲
  ▲▲                      ▲
   ▲▲▲▲▲▲             ▲▲▲▲▲
        ▲══════┼══════▲
        ▲             ▲
        ▲             ▲
        ▲             ▲

My first fortress's defensive front gate. Naturally, I didn't build anything on the z-level above it, so invaders just walked up the natural ramps and around the wall.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:42 am »

I have never, ever, ever struck-- or even seen-- adamantine. No matter how hard I tried, no matter how far I dug, not a single freaking tile.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »

After finally finding the magma sea I thought it would be convenient to build my smelters directly on top of it. Convenient it was but now every once in a while I get a magma man or some other creature of flames popping up.

I lost a few unlucky furnace operators and a beloved dog or two but it ensures for some hilarious drama when dwarfs try to escape. One did escape but unfortunately died after leaving an epic blood trail over half my fortress. I'm still waiting for the engraving.

That's why I only channel a single square, and make sure that the dark green Xs end up over it- that way, no one can get out.

I have never used magma for any destructive purposes, don't kills elves and like having nobles. Also, in my first fort, to build a well I did this crazy channeling that brought the whole river to my fortress from across the map. Naturally, the fortress perished beneath the waves.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »

I remember breaching my first magma pipe.  Totally by accident I actually was trying to extend my empty moat under my drawbridge and found it.  I subsequently filled it with said magma.  I also setup forges as well.  To protect against the nasties in there I installed a door to keep them out.  It wasnt until my dwarves were on fire did I realize that they could still swim out of the pipe to the moat.

My project which was designed to protect my dwarves actually led the way to their doom.

My flaming dwarves ran to the barracks setting things on fire and the imps set the map on fire while shooting at some poor cow.  This is the first time seeing fire in the game and I was shocked. There were three of them in total.  My meager squad of wrestlers took down the one attacking the cow--not without casualties--and the rest died while fighting the 2nd one by the depot.  I drafted the survivors and dogpiled the remaining imp which was in the barracks.  I abandoned the fortress.

I also remember my first megabeast.  My fort had a retracting drawbridge with an empty channel with a small tunnel at the bottom to pick up the remains incase any gobbos were standing on the bridge while it was being retracted.  My trade depot was right behind the bridge with a staircase nearby.  The biggest caravan I have ever seen came by.  Seven or so wagons and lots of camels and donkeys. It was SO MUCH stuff!  I ordered ALL of my trade goods brought to the depot.  Years worth of craft goods.

I then received reports of dwarves dying and flaming dwarves running towards the fort.  I looked around and saw a dragon!  Flames bellowed out and incinerated all the greedy sock-grubbing dwarves and more were coming!  My military was well equiped this time but small. I quickly ordered the drawbridge closed but my dwarves were too busy hauling crates to bother.  Frantic, I ordered my military to the depot for a showdown.  The dragon was closing in on my base and was standing on the drawbridge.  The beast let out another bellow of flames STRAIGHT at my depot.  Several dwarves and ALL OF MY TRADEGOODS AND THE LARGEST CARAVAN EVER go up in flames.  All in flames.  Smoke is EVERYWHERE and is seeping down my staircase into my fort. 

RIGHT as the dragon finished her blast someone *finally* pulled the lever dropping the dragon down my pit.  Mind you this pit leads straight to my barracks which seems to be on fire now as my flaming dwarves came here to rest. I now have a dragon *inside* my base with a path straight to the sleeping areas and main hallway.

I quickly pause and breath a hesitant sigh of relief when I notice the dragon is unconscious.   My legendary axedwarf then proceeds to walk right up to the dragon and hack her to death.  With the dragon dispatched I look across the fort to assess the damage.

The dragon only killed 12 people.  All my wealth is on fire and smoke is going into my main hallways and sleeping quarters.  The blaze burned for months.  A tantrum spiral ensues which ended the lives of 40 dwarves before things calmed down which was around the time the fire stopped.  We recovered but the fort never reached its former glory.

I never struck adamantine or reached anything higher than a baron.  I also never tamed an animal or built anything more complicated than stonefall traps, bridges, and remotely operated doors.

P.S
Listening to Book of Days while reading your stories really sets the mood.
Worship!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 07:17:42 pm »

I prefer Requiem For A Dream.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »

I prefer Requiem For A Dream.
Hall of the Mountain King, of course, is a must.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

Before this gets out of hand, I think it's already its own thread.

Edit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20337
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:42:58 pm by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 06:53:46 am »

After playing the new version since it came out, I only just activated invaders a few days ago  :'(
And boy did I have Fun.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
Pages: 1 2 [3]