Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting unusual items  (Read 720 times)

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Melting unusual items
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:40:34 pm »

I think Toady is working on melting exotic plants or something, as well as smelting formulae, so this isn't coming out of nowhere. When I recently got a kill on a bronze colossus and found it's 32,900 weight leg lying on the ground, I was dismayed to find that I couldn't melt it. The effort of killing a megabeast is great, but I think the extra reward for cutting off any limbs should be given in a great pile of bronze bars melted down from the remains.
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melting unusual items
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:59:58 am »

How many bars do you wager a 33 metric ton limb would turn into? For that matter, how did they manage to cut it off?

Yes, the measurement units now coincide with metric.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:10:56 am »

This is the Colossus Hall. Each statue shows one of the great heroes that fought against the mighty Bronze Colossus that attacked us in 1021. Everything here is made from the bronze we got by melting one of its legs.

Yeah, that would be damn cool  :D
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:37 am »

"How many bars do you wager a 33 metric ton limb would turn into? For that matter, how did they manage to cut it off?"

1) 32,900 (weight) / 16 (weight/bar) ~= 2056 bars, assuming no wastage and the limb is pure bronze.

2) Exceptional steel axes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:10:36 am »

How many bars do you wager a 33 metric ton limb would turn into? For that matter, how did they manage to cut it off?

Yes, the measurement units now coincide with metric.

Well, all metals are measured by their own specific SOLID_DENSITY value (bronze is 8250 kg/m^3, and all bars have the same volume, which appears to be roughly .002 m^3 (I.E. 2 liters), but where the game does not round up, so it often looks smaller.

Bronze has a SOLID_DENSITY of 8250, so each bar masses at 16.5 kg.

33,000 kg / 16.5 kg = 2,000 bars of bronze... although you would have to cut that number by whatever melting loss percentage would be imposed.

And yes, that would be friggin' Bronze Christmas.

meh, ninja'd...  posting anyway
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:05:01 pm »

I picture the furnace operator humming to himself as the melt object order completes, only to have the workshop, the dwarf, and everything within 5 tiles destroyed by the explosion of bronze bars.