Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does butcher skill improve speed? If so, how much?  (Read 982 times)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does butcher skill improve speed? If so, how much?
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:34:34 am »

I'm on a map with elephants and I've had four hunters immigrate. I set all my hunters to butcher so none of their kills are wasted, but mostly they hang out in the butcher shops with the elephant carcass for I'm guessing a week. Elephant calves take almost no time to butcher, even with unskilled or barely skilled dwarves. Is this a size thing, or what?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Does butcher skill improve speed? If so, how much?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:39:59 am »

When a workshop has many items in it, it becomes cluttered, and work slows down drastically. An adult elephant is so large that it will clutter even an empty workshop. The only thing you can do to improve this is to train up your butchers. The extra speed from the skill will offset the speed loss from the clutter.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:03:46 am »

The only thing you can do to improve this is to train up your butchers.

Wouldn't taking care of logistics, so products from previously-butchered animals get moved ASAP, be even more important? Unless you're implying that the yield of an animal that's currently being processed already counts as clutter before it gets struck down.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »

The corpse itself counts toward clutter. If you take an empty butcher's shop and have a dwarf haul an elephant corpse to it, the elephant corpse will be enough to push it into cluttered.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:28:41 pm »

Besides which, the logistics are kind of awful.  Any refuse stockpiles will get cluttered pretty much instantly with cartilage and hair-- stuff with which there's nothing to do but dump the stuff.  A single butcher shop running continuously will keep a bone carver, a food hauler, and 4 dumpers constantly busy, which isn't really worth it just to butcher corpses faster.  Worse is the fact that it requires frequent dumping redesignation of useless body parts.  In 40D, the supremacy of the crossbow, along with limitations for bolts used for training, made butchery logistics important; in this version, with acres of ore, one might as well just clutter the butcher and skill up a weaponsmith if marksdwarfs are desired.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 02:21:12 am »

The corpse itself counts toward clutter. If you take an empty butcher's shop and have a dwarf haul an elephant corpse to it, the elephant corpse will be enough to push it into cluttered.

I didn't expect that, but I guess it was rather clearly implied in your earlier post.

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 04:03:26 am »

Any refuse stockpiles will get cluttered pretty much instantly with cartilage and hair-- stuff with which there's nothing to do but dump the stuff.

I've gotten my dwarves to dump cartilage, hair & other useless stuff (it never goes to my stockpiles). Go into Options, refuse, and tell them to keep only skin, and bones, and then they will dump hair etc..

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 06:21:39 am »

do the above and make a single garbadge dump pit next to the butcher(make it deep)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.