Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: farms -no seeds available-  (Read 2539 times)

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
farms -no seeds available-
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »

Hi,

right after digging some space, channeling all way up so that it will become "outside", flooding it and finally assigning a farm plot on the ground -making sure there's some "pile of mud" or similar everywhere, I constantly get this error message: No seeds available for this location. What is wrong now?
As in the first run mudding did not work properly (some tiles stayed clean), I even constructed and deconstructed buildings on every tile, just to make sure there will be mud the next time. And yes, there was/there is, I k-ed every tile, there's mud on every one.

Please, help. My dwarves and these farm plots will drive me mad.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: farms -no seeds available-
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:50 pm »

If there is no "cover" that makes your farm underground, you cannot plant underground plants.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:42:27 pm »

But I should be able to plant above ground plants on that farm, at least that's the way it worked in the old versions: Dig, channel up, let the sun shine in (so that the tiles will become "outside") and plant outside crops. Has that changed completely?

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:50:28 pm »

Check your stocks screen and make sure you have the seeds you want to plant. If you've gathered the plants, they need to be eaten or brewed before seeds will be created. Disable brewing on all but the plant you want the seeds for in the kitchen menu, and then set the job at your still. Seeds in no time.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »

Just checked my stocks, there are enough seeds for outside farming (e.g. wild strawberries) to plant several farms.

Xeorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »

Does your biome have wild strawberries?

Believe now you can only plant outside plants if the plant appears naturally.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »

As far as I see, wild strawberries should be in my biome. I just checked, my last farm in front of the entrance -and as such definitely outside- is growing prickle berries. There are ~ 200 prickle berry seeds in stock, but I can not select them (or anything) at my carved, muddied outside-farm either.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 01:26:56 pm »

So, if you bought sun berries from the hippies... you couldn't plant them in an evil biome?

Lame.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:09:09 am »

I just stumbled across this here in the wiki:
Above ground farms built on rock layers (muddied or otherwise) will show the message "No seeds available for this location," and you will not  be able to plant anything in them.
Is that a bug or a feature? In previous versions, ground farms channeled to the top and muddied were possible and that's just what I wanted to do.  :(

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 05:20:23 am »

Outside farm require soil afaik, so a muddy rock layer won't do.
Don't have much experience with outdoor farming though, if you try a soil layer let me know if it works

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 06:48:18 am »

My "outside" farm is dug about 12 z-levels deep into the rock and muddied. I'm growing outside plants on it just fine.
Just as a side note: in previous versions tiles would (apparently) stay muddied forever. In the newest version they definitely do not. After about 5 years or so of continuous use my plots get barren and need to be re-muddied.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

Then I don't get it. Why can't I grow anything on my "outside" farm, while any underground plant grows on the "inside" farm just two tiles away, both muddied, both on the same rock?
Why is the wiki saying that "above" farms on rock will have "no seed available"? And why can I grow plants on another "outside" farm, dig into (muddied) sand?

Additionally: When the plots get barren, do you deconstruct and flood ět, or do you just flood the constructed plot?

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 07:55:02 am »

Just check all the usuals. Check for access to seeds: no locked doors, no burrow restrictions, forbidden status etc.. It will be something. You are using 32.10 right?
You can muddy tiles while leaving the farm plot built.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 08:46:01 am »

Yes, I'm running 31.10 here. I just checked everything.. twice. No burrow restrictions and seeds and farm plot are in same burrow. No locked doors,  and no forbidden status.
Although when I lock, forbid and restrict the farm plot, can't I still select the crops... only none would be planted? At the moment I just can not select any crops, there's only this annoying "No available seeds for this location" message.

Just noticed something strange: I scraped the farm plot and tried to build a new one. Although each and every tile is muddied, there's this yellow warning message, saying there would be no mud for underground (!!) farm. First of all: There is mud. And why underground, when I am building it on a tile labeled "outside and above ground"? As soon as I enlarge my plot to cover one single non-channeled tile, labeled inside, this warning disappears.

H-E-L-P-!

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 08:55:11 am »

I have had the experience when building a farm outdoors (on the top layer, on something like grass) that I'd get a similar warning message.  But I'd still be able to build it and it worked just fine.

As for your growing woes, perhaps the wiki is correct and you just plain can't do it.  Though BillW's experience obviously suggests otherwise.  Maybe you placed your new farm just past the boundary of the biome.  You can test this by making 4 farms on top, 1 in each of the cardinal directions.  If at least one of them cannot grow your strawberries then it's a good bet that it's a problem with being in the wrong biome.

KD