Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first goblin encounter didn't go too well...  (Read 795 times)

Kamawoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
My first goblin encounter didn't go too well...
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:09 pm »

Hi,  just started playing this game.  It's fantastic!

I accidently flooded my first fort; this time I'd managed to get a waterwheel and pump working, yay, progress!

Anyhow was probally the third or fourth year and some damn gobbo's show up.  I finally managed to close the front doors and hide inside, think they're gone now (but I haven't really been brave enough to check, just peeking through the keyhole to observe the carnage).

I think I could do with a better army.  Admidst the torrent of warnings about tasks being cancelled (as my dwarfs were interrupted by, then slaughtered by, the invaders) I checked to see how my military commander was doing.  He did just fine, he was busy fishing, not a care in the world!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:43:17 am by Kamawoop »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: My first goblin encounter didn't go too well...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:50:28 pm »

this is very common.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:27:53 pm »

One of my first forts is where I discovered what an aquifer is and what it does. Foolishly, I thought I could dig out the aquifer. That ended up in a bit of a flooding situation. I eventually recovered from that by making water chutes through the lower floors which dumped the water in to the big lake. Then I built pumps and started smoothing the stone and solved the issue.

Check the unit list(the u key) to see if the goblins got bored and left. As for the military commander, did you make a squad with the military screen? Set up a squad, make a barracks and get them training. He won't fish if he's training. The next time the goblins show up, you can station the squad near the goblins and duke it out with them.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:07:46 am »

Locking the doors and hiding is probably the best thing you can do if you're new to the game.. the combat system is extremely punishing to unprepared dwarf warriors.  If you want to fight them or get rid of them, build cage traps.  It's a bit cheap (goblin axelords can't break out of a wooden cage...) but it'll give you a chance to get some decent equipment before you start trying to fight them.  You need at least some metal armor and weapons before you can really beat a goblin ambush, and quite often the goblins are carrying exactly what you need.. if you know how to get it off them  ;D
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:39 am »

The first time i got into a real fight with goblins the game crashed after the first couple of waves. it was starting to geniunely get interesting. I reset and spent the next few years picking of small, boring ambushes.

just be thankful that the gobbos are giving you enough attention.