Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows  (Read 1060 times)

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »

So I am working on a few large projects in my fort. I turned off economy, invaders and cave-ins to make things flow a bit more smoothly while I build. I am building a series of tunnels, aboveground forts, towers and walls for defense once I turn invaders back on (and economy, but that's unrelated.) Anywho, I have a question regarding putting windows on some of the aforementioned towers. Can windows be broken through by flying beasts (or projectiles)?

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »

Windows are destroyable by, I believe, building destroyer 1. So windows would be a bad idea, unless you can lure them into a closed trap room with them.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:40:55 pm »

Hmmm... That, Hokan, is a good idea. Each tower could hold 3-4 trap rooms only reachable via the broken window or a drawbridge which would be kept shut until it was time to reload the traps and fix the window. I may need to think of some bait. Thank you for the info.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:08:52 pm »

oh, if only we could link windows to trigger other things when they are broken (like a 1-time use pressure plate that requires a building destroyer to trigger)

It'd be like high security safes, which have a sheet of glass protecting the inner workings that will permanently seal the door if it's broken. :)

*imagines a room with a window and a drawbridge that will close and seal the room if the window is broken*
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »

Unless the trap rooms have an opening into your fort they will likely never enter them.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, building destroyers can only destroy on the same z-level, and there are no flying building destroyers. So any windows you build into a tower would be perfectly safe. It's just one that are on the ground level you would have to worry about.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »

Unless I'm mistaken, building destroyers can only destroy on the same z-level, and there are no flying building destroyers. So any windows you build into a tower would be perfectly safe. It's just one that are on the ground level you would have to worry about.
The wiki confirmed that building destroyers can destroy hatches if the hatch is above stairs or a ramp.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 04:39:05 pm »

That's actually really good to know, thanks! Doesn't change the answer to the OP's post though. Windows in a tower should be perfectly safe.

Terv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:11:50 pm »

That is great. Now it's time for towers of marble with shining, green glass windows.