Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Combat system :(  (Read 2800 times)

diriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Combat system :(
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 02:55:58 pm »

Right now the military is the only thing really holding me up. I have simply Worked Around (shut the front gates :( ) the military. I am just getting my steel industry up and running, magma is so nice! As soon as i have full steel every thing for my soon to be squads ready I will have most likely have "calmed down" a bit and hopefully be ready to really try to adapt to this new damn military system that i will NOT like but will get used to. I dunno, maybe in time it will grow on me but my first 2 impressions of it was WTF?? Now I know at least some of that was bug related. My first game back, was on 31.06... then 31.08, and finally I went ahead and moved over to 31.10. So my next Go-Round with this "sweet new military" will be on .10. So, here's hoping to it going a bit smoother.

Now to be clear, it really rubs me to have shut my front gates...yes i could do lots of traps but that is almost as bad as shutting the front gates for me. I liked the old days ...roll out the welcome mat for the FUN and Have-At-IT!! Yeah it sorta sucked a little when your champions absolutely ganked the new recruits /grin, but hey there was never any shortage of new warm dorf bodies! Besides, full armor and wrestling first was your friend back then.

The medical system seems to be interesting, that took a bit of forum diving to get working. I think once the bugs are stomped out it will be kinda nice.

The new farming system...Grrrr....but yeah ok fine whatever. Just extra setup time is all, certainly no big deal. It just seems like this new release series is all about Crunch Time at Start-Up. After the initial OOMPH things level out and you can mostly do the good old auto-pilot thing. You know, business as usual. At least once you have gathered a few outside seeds you can do above ground farming easy enough, but not really all that much quicker  than the mud chamber setup if you really push hard for that. I mean gathering enough seeds to really get planting takes a bit of time with only 1 gatherer. Hmm, maybe make 2 gatherers to start out? /shrug

Have Fun!

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

Have you gone through any of the turorials?

The new system is pretty awesome.

1. You can creating schedules that include training, patrol, guarding areas, and taking time off.
2. Different alert levels so during an invasion you can have different schedules setup ahead of time, so your not scrambling to station dwarves all over.
3. Ordering squads to go hunt down individual/groups of creatures is alot better than the old station and prey that the hydra doesn't take a wierd route to your cave entrance.

I recognize that having to pour through tutorials isn't fun for any game, but think about how confusing DF was when you first started.

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:16 pm »

The military system is not very comparable to the rest.

In most of the game's systems, you don't need to go through as many steps before seeing any signs of success, and the game gives you more feedback. I don't know how many times I have to say this: Most of the time, in DF, if you try to do something and it can't be done for some reason, the game tells you (or won't let you in the first place), and will usually even say why. The military system has none of that, and it needs it, badly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 05:22:24 pm »

Whenever i use military i feel a horrible sense of emptiness. I send my dorfs off somewhere to attack and they do it. This is dorffort, its not meant to be that easy!

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:00:55 pm »

I think the real problem with the new military is that NOTHING is done automatically; you have to set every little thing yourself or nothing works.

Didn't assign them a barracks? Won't train.

Didn't set up their schedule? Won't train.

Didn't assign an armory dwarf? No equipment for you! (mercifully fixed now)

Didn't assign them ammo? Won't shoot at a shooting range.

Didn't switch their alert mode to active? Well then they're just civillians!

And of course, as mentioned by somebody further up the thread, there is NO feedback when any of this goes wrong!

We're also lacking the "instant violence" option that was provided by activating any random dwarf to tackle an intruder; gone are the days when you could activate a woodcutter and rest-assured that goblin limbs would soon be flying in every direction. Now you have to add him to a squad, set his alert mode to active, specifically order him to kill the intruder, and then watch as he drops his axe and tackles the armed intruder bare-handed. And dies. Poor Mebzuth.

Honestly a lot of this could be fixed very simply with some sensible defaults; squads auto-assigned to every barracks unless you specifically tell them not to use one, ammo auto-assigned as before unless you explicitly set it, schedules automatically set to train with a minimum of ONE dwarf not ten, and maybe even switch a squad's alert mode to active by default. Being able to give kill orders to anyone, without having to draft them first, and without them dropping their current weapons would also be nice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:03:21 pm by Nilik »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 10:53:01 pm »

Actually if you assign a wood cutter to a squad, (no different then activating him/her) you can tell him to go attack an invading goblin through the squad menu(s) as opposed to the military menu(m) and it's alot more "instant" than ever it was in the past see my previous post about stationing and preying.  In 40d, on a haunted area, it was a pain in the ass to try to get my military to go out and attack skeletal deer(which often moved randomly).  Now in DF 2010 I say go kill those skeletal deer, and the squads I want, REGARDLESS OF SCHEDULE/ALERTS, hunt down and kill the skeletal deer. 

1. In 40d if you didn't have a barracks they didn't train, in 2010 you have the option of 1 mega barracks, or several specialized barracks(sleeping soldiers won't get bad thoughts from noise from sleeping in the barracks were others are training.)

2. In 40d, after Drafting your soldiers they wouldn't train either(until you deactivated them). With schedules you can schedule automatic training times, automatic patrol times, and automatic off duty. 

3. There alot of DF players who got really excited about the arsonal dwarf.  He was a NOBLE with FANS.
In fact I cann't wait for him to comeback. He, the Dungeon Master, and Philosphere all give me happy thoughts. :D

4. No more wsting master work steel bolts at the archery range.

5. Again in the old version you still had to draft people.  PLUS, in the new version, far more migrants with military skills join your fortress.

6.  Why don't you request job cancelation messages for "Urist Mc Axedwarf cancels training no barrack assigned."  Toady does listen to us after all. And could easly add it to the next release with little impact on the SDLC.

Anyways my point is the new system isn't all that different from the old system in terms of making dwarves do things, and where there are differences there is more flexability for customizatig.  The new system is great for Micromanaging and forgetting. 

Edit: fixed my formatting
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:10:59 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 12:06:11 am »

Actually if you assign a wood cutter to a squad, (no different then activating him/her) you can tell him to go attack an invading goblin through the squad menu[s] as opposed to the military menu[m] and it's alot more "instant" than ever it was in the past see my previous post about stationing and preying.  In 40d, on a haunted area, it was a pain in the ass to try to get my military to go out and attack skeletal deer(which often moved randomly).  Now in DF 2010 I say go kill those skeletal deer, and the squads I want, REGARDLESS OF SCHEDULE/ALERTS, hunt down and kill the skeletal deer. 

1. In 40d if you didn't have a barracks they didn't train, in 2010 you have the option of 1 mega barracks, or several specialized barracks(sleeping soldiers won't get bad thoughts from noise from sleeping in the barracks were others are training.)

2. In 40d, after Drafting your soldiers they wouldn't train either(until you deactivated them). With schedules you can schedule automatic training times, automatic patrol times, and automatic off duty. 

3. There alot of DF players who got really excited about the arsonal dwarf.  He was a NOBLE with FANS.
In fact I cann't wait for him to comeback. He, the Dungeon Master, and Philosphere all give me happy thoughts. :D

4. No more wsting master work steel bolts at the archery range.

5. Again in the old version you still had to draft people.  PLUS, in the new version, far more migrants with military skills join your fortress.

6.  Why don't you request job cancelation messages for "Urist Mc Axedwarf cancels training no barrack assigned."  Toady does listen to us after all. And could easly add it to the next release with little impact on the SDLC.

Anyways my point is the new system isn't all that different from the old system in terms of making dwarves do things, and where there are differences there is more flexability for customizatig.  The new system is great for Micromanaging and forgetting.

I think you done messed up some formatting, sir.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 02:07:40 am »

Also off duty soldiers were still soldiers.
With the new system I have to name all the soldiers as such. Actually I use Squad initials + weapon assignment.
I share your pain.

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 02:52:26 am »

I love the new system. I always choose complication and freedom over simplification and inflexibility.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 04:47:30 am »

I never played 40d, so this new system is all I know. At first it confused the hell out of me. Then I realized I could kill stuff using the squad menu after merely adding a few dorfs to a squad. It's a piece of cake. I don't have all the scheduling stuff down yet, but I can get my troops to do what they need to, kill. I like that it can be as simple or complex as you want it to be. I'm still learning the game but at least my dorfs can defend themselves. When I get a more solid handle on the game I'll be able to come back to the military and learn the nitty gritty details.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...
Pages: 1 [2]