Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a guide to the underground  (Read 579 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
a guide to the underground
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:12:03 pm »

presumably animal peoples and Kobolds know the underground pretty well

my suggestion is you should be able to recruit them as guides. They follow you around like any other follower but they allow you to use the travel screen in the underground.

if possible you should be able to travel to places using the travel screen on any underground layer (bar possibly the magma sea the depths bellow it.).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: a guide to the underground
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

That would presume that not everything underground will kill you on sight simply on the principle of the matter :P

I've never been particulary fond of the "Meet fantastic new races... and kill them all!" aspect of DF.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:15:56 am »

currently animal peoples are friendly, ive never met a kobold in adventure mode but i guess they would be since goblins often are.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:46:23 am »

Less stuff is running in adv. mode, right? Cause I kind of like the difficulty of finding/fighting your way back to the surface, but it should be less a matter of luck... maybe some way they could give you a map to the nearest surface entrance, or maybe one of the guides could "lead" you?

Actually, what I really want is to have some reasonable need/ability to find one of your old fortresses, and use it as a way out.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.