Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Games where your items level up?  (Read 5588 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Games where your items level up?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »

I'm going to second Vagrant Story. Not only is it a great all around tactical RPG hybrid....but the weapon leveling system isn't some boring xp pool, it's actual leveling through customization.

Weapons and armor track what they used against and get a score that increases in one category versus another. Hit beasts with your axe, your axe becomes attuned to beasts more and less to humans. Hit Dragons, it's less effective against ghosts but more effective against dragons. Armor works the opposite. It gets better against the stuff that is hitting it.

And then everything has a material quality that gives it core stats like slashing, piercing and blunt resistance or damage. As weapons with great developed stats get outclassed, you can combine them with other weapons to forge a new weapon, that is a a hybrid of the twos' stats. And you can even name your weapons and set gems in them to further enhance their effects. Add on a new game+ feature that lets you do some additional stuff and it's a great game.

I'd be playing it again if I hadn't already beaten it 4 times.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:03 pm »

There's a few roguelikes that have leveling weapons... Portralis and certain versions of Furyband and ToME 2 are ones I can remember off the top of my head. S'probably a few more I'm not recalling.

I guess the feature shows up in MUD-type games occasionally, too.  It's been a few years since I've played any, but I do remember seeing leveling weapons in some of 'em's feature list.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:40:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 01:42:17 pm »

Although it's not an RPG, Ratchet and Clank 2 did this brilliantly.
Almost all the R&C games have this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »

There's a few roguelikes that have leveling weapons... Portralis and certain versions of Furyband and ToME 2 are ones I can remember off the top of my head. S'probably a few more I'm not recalling.

I guess the feature shows up in MUD-type games occasionally, too.  It's been a few years since I've played any, but I do remember seeing leveling weapons in some of 'em's feature list.

All only very vagely. Fury and ToME through weapons that gained power through charging with money. Made Alchemists basically gods if they got their hands on one.

Also Portralis 5.2 is out! Gotta go play that now. And yeah, I play MUDs and it sometimes happens, in various ways. Only a little though in the main one I play, Cleft of Dimensions.

Thanks again for the suggestions. If I had the required system I'd definitely be playing Vagrant Story.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »

Most Nippon Ichi games have some sort of non-character related upgrade system. ...one that wasn't mentioned was Soul Nomad...you "Inspect" rooms (rooms are places where you store units and the quality of the room grants bonuses or something like that"
   Also The World Ends With You (TWEWY) has a system where you level up collectible pins (TWEWY’s version of weapons, Pins are essentially badges that bestow special powers such as reading minds, pyromancy etc.) They get stronger as they level up and if the gain enough exp in a certain area they evolve (The game has three types of EXP Social (Pins equipped during street pass mode) Combat (exp gained fighting) and Break Time exp (exp gained by not playing the game seriously!!!) I think there might bee a fourth you gain from playing a certain minigame with a friend but I have no friends that play Twewy so I cannot be sure. (The mini game is a beyblade parody that has a whole bonus post game chapter devoted to it, that chapter has some of the funniest quotes in a video game  that I have ever played.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:38 pm »

Two Worlds, a Gothic-like first person action RPG.  I can only sorta recommend it though.  It has the free-world exploration of Gothic and Morrowind, but a laughable plot.  You level up weapons by stack-fusing identical items together (armor, weapons, rings, etc.) which merges their sub-properties too.

Example:
Copper Sword +1 Fire Damage [combined with] Copper Sword +3 Lightning Damage = Copper Sword +1 Fire, +3 Lightning Damage

This has the negative effect of increasing the stat requirements to use the item, so it can't be used infinitely.
Pages: 1 2 [3]