Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeasts not very mega. At all.  (Read 1360 times)

Atrushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeasts not very mega. At all.
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:48 pm »

Once upon a time, a bronze colossus decided it wanted to pound my fortress into the ground it was built on. Naturally, having heard about the difficulty of killing a colossus, I decided to simply wall myself up and hope it went away eventually. If it didn't, I was going to attempt to kill it, and probably lose most of my army. So, I ordered all of my dorfs inside. Some of them decided that they wanted to finish the outside jobs first, and just kinda stood around. So I watched the bronze colossus. It spotted a dog, went charging after it... and was promptly caught in one of my many cage traps.
So, now I have a bronze colossus in a cage. The hauler took a full three minutes hauling the cage to the stockpile, it was that heavy.

That was at least a couple of game years ago, and I still don't know what I'm going to do with it. Any suggestions?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeasts not very mega. At all.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »

Fight club. With Elves.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »

go to creature_standard in the object's raws, find the bronze colossus, and add[PET][TRAINABLE] tags somewhere, and worry no more about wars or sieges
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:14:19 pm »

Remove the exotic tag,create a new world and then tame the colossus!,or just put it in your arena and pray to armok it dosen't break free.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:15:13 pm »

i think if it can learn, you can add it to a burrow, heh heh
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:16:47 pm »

ARENA ARENA ARENA ARENA

Fight goblins forever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gus Smedstad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:30:23 pm »

Cages are the easy, standard solution to Colossi.  They're nearly impossible to kill, and smash dwarves in steel mail to jelly, but they are easily caged.

Your choices at this point are keep it caged forever, or carefully release it in a pit where it cannot get out.  Via the remote cage opening via lever method, since actually attempting to dump it in a pit will always result in an escape.  I have done this, accidentally, while attempting to pit a goblin with a bizarre name that happened to be very, very similar to the Colossus's bizarre name.

- Gus

Atrushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »

I took ricky's advice.

I now have a war bronze colossus. I have assigned it, along with 25 war dogs, to a one-handed legendary knife user, to be used for sacrificing goblins and other invaders. I hope it won't kill them too quickly.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:14:30 am »

Arena mode tests show it takes several legendary (or almost legendary, you can only get them up to grand master in the arena) warriors to kill a bronze colossus using swords. If they use whips, it takes several more (I'm not sure why, but swords are apparently the best weapon for taking down inorganic megabeasts currently, whips dominate everything else with warhammers as a not-so-distant runner up). If you give them no weapon skill, they don't really have a prayer.

Your colossus should be fine as a guard. In fact, I think those things can learn, so as it battles it will gain hand to hand combat skill, and when your hands are made out of solid bronze, you're a lethal weapon all your own.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:59:46 am »

Heh. I'd have left it untamed, in a cage built right outside my main entrance. So when a siege comes, I order all my dwarves inside, close the drawbridges, lever the cage open...
...and once all goblins are nothing more than stains on bronze, I open the drawbridges and let the colossus make its way inside. Where it runs into cage traps.

Oh, the infinity!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 10:33:17 am »

If it isnt tamed it isnt going to attack the goblins. The annoying thing about wild animals and hostiles. they are on the same side.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 11:29:41 am »

Kill'em all, then.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:41:33 am »

If it isnt tamed it isnt going to attack the goblins. The annoying thing about wild animals and hostiles. they are on the same side.

Really? That sucks, I was gonna catch one and use it as a guard statue.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.