Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A simple mod for a simple, now defunct, purpose: Giant turtles  (Read 1101 times)

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been using this for a bit, and even though the shells are no longer needed it does add a certain exotic something to a fortress.

I'm fairly sure it'll have been done before, but it's better than no contribution at all.

Add this to a text file named creature_turtle.txt in /raw/objects:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a simple combination of dog and turtle. Anyone know of any way of getting more than one shell from it, short of giving it another shell?

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A simple mod for a simple, now defunct, purpose: Giant turtles
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:00:06 pm »

I've been using these lovely little beasts...

You need this in a Body_plan file to make it work:

This way you actually have a shell wrapped around the upper/lower body that acts like armor.  In my testing I've seen swords and axes just delecting off the shell, while maces and hammers tend to break it and push shards into lungs, liver, stomaches, hearts and all manner of tasty bits on the inside (like skulls do to brains).  The thickness and creature size also make it count as 2 shells. 

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

I've been using these lovely little beasts...

You need this in a Body_plan file to make it work:

This way you actually have a shell wrapped around the upper/lower body that acts like armor.  In my testing I've seen swords and axes just delecting off the shell, while maces and hammers tend to break it and push shards into lungs, liver, stomaches, hearts and all manner of tasty bits on the inside (like skulls do to brains).  The thickness and creature size also make it count as 2 shells.

Holy shit these turtles just saved my fort--you never said they fought like dogs! The skeletal yeti was the end of my fort but these little buggers augmented my war dogs and smashed him to pieces! I'm going to friggin save these for when DF stabilizes enough for orcs!

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

Epic turtle beaks = epic enemy death.

You sure these aren't Giant Snapping Turtles?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (