Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting rooms +shots  (Read 1065 times)

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting rooms +shots
« on: July 14, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »

Recently I've been thoroughly bored with square rooms and fortresses. Symettry has really become so last Obsidian.  ???
Now I've been trawling through the map archive for days, searching for interesting ideas, but there aren't many out there that stray away from these well trusted quadrilaterals. I did a little experimenting and it's definitely harder than I thought to come up with something that I like.

I'm trying to come up with some ideas that would feel at home in an organic fortress, but I'm struggling. These few are the ones that I'm not immediately resentful towards.

This one is based upon the sandwich idea, stick one of these above and below a 3-wide hallway and you're done. Great, I though, but now I want to introduce sewage/plumbing (under every room), so that's not future-proof enough for me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one I like a lot more, it's intended to be a mezzanine level overlooking the Trade Depot, or meeting areas.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anybody care to contribute their own designs? I'm a little lacking in inspiration today. Efficiency is second place to beauty and creativity.  ;)

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting rooms +shots
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »

Try a hexagonal design. Each room is the exact same size. And perfectly aligned.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:58:38 pm »

I still haven't decided on a good housing design (noble and otherwise) for my Wavehandle revisit. I could use some ideas as well. My last idea used in the previous version was an uninventive squaring off with nobility in the center rooms and peasantry in the outer rooms (from a single central hallway). Plus, it was only in 1Z of space, so yeah.

I like to see if anyone has any 3D solutions that are efficient, yet aesthetically pleasing. Sorry for a lack of ideas here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:00:10 pm by Itnetlolor »

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:06:21 pm »

I've been developing room layouts like below of late. I've been experimenting with random and organic room growth, and I've been fairly happy with the result. Try growing this pattern into one or two others, the 4/1 slope provides a nice alternative to the traditional 45deg rotations of rooms.
Code: [Select]
.............H.HH..HHH..............
...........HH.H...HHH...............
..........HHH.H..HHH..HH............
.........HHH..H.HHH..HHH............
........HHH...H.HH..HHH.............
........HH..HH.H...HHH..............
...........HHH.H..HHH...............
..........HHH..H.HHH..HH............
.........HHH...H.HH..HHH............
........HHH..HH.H...HHH.............
........HH..HHH.H..HHH..............
...........HHH..H.HHH...............
..........HHH...H.HH................
.................H..................
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I haven't found any 3D non-45deg tessellations, though.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:01:16 am »

Well, there are only so much n-ominoes and even less that stack together with 1-tile walls in between.

Maybe try mixing sleeping quarters with burial chambers of different size to fill in any odd-shaped gaps...
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:47:23 am »

Can always try to mess around with circles instead. Those always provide much fun. :D

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:32 am »

I usually go with living pods.  They're easy to make, scalable, and relatively walk efficient.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:22:21 am »

Try this. Not practical, but neat.
Code: [Select]
#####
#...#
#.###
#...D
#.###
#...#
#####
Where #=wall D=Door .=empty floor.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.