Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Those pesky Bronze Collosus things.  (Read 921 times)

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Those pesky Bronze Collosus things.
« on: July 14, 2010, 05:09:16 pm »

Okay, the region I'm playing apparently had a lot of Bronze Collosus running around because I've encountered two, possibly three with the same fortress. The first time, I didn't have much of a topside fortress done or military. I also wasn't aware of what one was, so it mashed up my little dorfs and waxed it's massive body with their fat. At least, I'm guessing that's what happened because I abandoned it and reclaimed it. The second one, I kind of used Runesmith to make it my friend since I didn't really care to mess with it at that time. This time, I had four squads of trained dorfs with iron and steel weapons, most of which are masterwork. Most of them have 2 or 3 wardogs each. I'm thinking I'm good, right? Well.. No, actually. So, outside my base is an acre of red grass, dog parts, and close to 40 dorfs waiting to die because none of the other dorfs can rescue them. The battle went on for a good solid hour before I figured out they weren't going to win.

The Bronze Collosus is dented and missing a left hand. Other than that, he's still going strong.

My question is, how stupid are Bronze Collosus? If I were to build a bunch of 3x3 wall structures on a support, will they walk up to them and smash the support on their own? Kind of like a mega-stone fall trap? Anyone tried that?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: Those pesky Bronze Collosus things.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »

*Picture from a movie*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"How do we kill it?"
"You can't"
"That's a load of bull."
"You still don't understand what you are dealing with do you? - Perfect organism, It's structural perfection is matched only by it's hostility."
(Not all might get the reference.)

Anyway, the only way you can kill a bronze collosus so far, is to throw a cute little rabbit into its face. But you could try the trap you mentioned, it works on hydras and the like.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:29:29 pm »

It's unlikely that he'll do it on his own, but if you lock him under one and trigger it yourself, it will kill him.

What version are you using?  I thought colossi were supposed to be killable again, as of 31.10

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

It has the buildingdestroyer2 tag, so the suicide booth will work.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »

Can they dehydrate and die?

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:54:07 am »

What version are you using?  I thought colossi were supposed to be killable again, as of 31.10

I thought so as well, but I'm using 31.10. It massacred my legendary army, though. Most of it's body is blue, and it lost a hand. I probably should have used platinum hammers, but I figured masterwork steel hammers and the sheer number would have been enough.

I'm probably going to have to revert to an older save and make those support traps for it.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 04:06:14 am »

Can they dehydrate and die?
No, they do not need to eat, drink or sleep.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:11 am »

In 31.10 I sent some trolls armed with steel two-handed swords against a bronze colossus, and the colossus was killed (after several trolls were flung to their deaths). It may be possible to kill them with steel weapon traps. Giant axe blades are supposed to be larger than serrated discs so those may be a better strategy.

What kind of region are you playing in where you get a bunch of bronze colossi?

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:52 am »

Why not link a support to a lever and tie some animals under it for bait?  Fill with magma too.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:42:42 am »

For hammers in 31.10, you'll get better results with silver if you have it. I did some arena testing and it was the clear winner against steel.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:08:49 am »

The heavier the better when dealing with hammers.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:37 am »

Why kill it when u could trap it and use it as the ultimate arena battle opponent?
Here's how u do it.
1. Dig a long and narrow (2X10 is a good size) channel with your miners thats about 2-3 z-levels deep
2. Place a bunch of Floor Hatches on them.
3. Place a wall around the long sides of the channel, but keep the narrow sides open.
4. Place some sort of bait there.
5. Link hatches to lever.
6. When colossus walks over hatches, let him fall.
7. When goblin sieger walks over hatches, let him fall and battle colossus.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:22 am »

Big. Ass. Weapons.

Dude, you may not be able to take the BC down with dwarven hands - the only man-portable weapon long enough to kill a BC via decapitation is the two-handed sword.

I suggest going with what that other dude suggested, which is Giant Axe Blades - those are definitely big enough to slay the bronze beast.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:16:07 am »

Why kill it when u could trap it and use it as the ultimate arena battle opponent?
Here's how u do it.
1. Dig a long and narrow (2X10 is a good size) channel with your miners thats about 2-3 z-levels deep
2. Place a bunch of Floor Hatches on them.
3. Place a wall around the long sides of the channel, but keep the narrow sides open.
4. Place some sort of bait there.
5. Link hatches to lever.
6. When colossus walks over hatches, let him fall.
7. When goblin sieger walks over hatches, let him fall and battle colossus.

The Bronze Colossus will walk up to the first hatches and destroy them without ever stepping on them, blocking its path into the trap.  You can't use floor hatch traps against building destroyers.  A bridge trap won't work either, since Bronze Colossi are large enough to prevent bridges from retracting.  The only way you can make this work would be to use a path of constructed floors, supported only by a support linked to a lever.  When the Bronze Colossus walks onto the suspended path you pull the lever, which causes the path to collapse into the containment pit.  It takes a while to set up and isn't resettable, but will catch anything that can't fly.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »

AFAIK Bronze Colossus are killable in 31.10. They are just fucking strong, as it should be.