Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how is she not dead yet?  (Read 1335 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
how is she not dead yet?
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:01:18 am »

Not sure about the combat stuff still.  This dwarf has been lying there being stabbed by a goblin pikeman for quite a while now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblin won't leave her alone because she's not dead yet and none of the other dwarves will go past the goblin.  This is a fairly new fort so I don't have much of a military yet.  I drafted a couple more dwarves into the squad but the goblin turned around and slaughtered them and then went back to poking Moldath with his pointy stick.  She has several arterial wounds, as well as the goblin having twisted his pike in her upper torso several times but hasn't bled out for way too long.

She's on one side of a corner with the goblin on the other side.  (So they are on diagonal tiles, with a corner next to both of them.) That's all I can think of that might have anything to do with it.

The fort was started with 31_08 but it's now loaded into 31_10.  Thinking about savescumming back to the previous season just to get out of the infinite stabbing loop.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Re: how is she not dead yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:04:09 am »

:o MEDIC!!!!!!!

she's a super dwarf.. all their is to it

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:34 am »

And she's happy  ???

Maybe w8 for season.... later or earlier she will die from blood loss.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 11:10:54 am »

Well it has actually changed from Autumn to Winter now and she's still lying there being poked with a sharp stick.  Something is wrong with the way she's not bleeding out.

Did Toady secretly implement undead dwarves in the last couple releases?

edit: Yeah I also thought it was funny that "she has been happy lately."  I'm guessing the bloodloss is making her delirious and she is probably seeing pink fluffy wamblers jumping over solid gold floodgates or something.
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:17:39 am »

Well it has actually changed from Autumn to Winter now and she's still lying there being poked with a sharp stick.  Something is wrong with the way she's not bleeding out.

Did Toady secretly implement undead dwarves in the last couple releases?

edit: Yeah I also thought it was funny that "she has been happy lately."  I'm guessing the bloodloss is making her delirious and she is probably seeing pink fluffy wamblers jumping over solid gold floodgates or something.

Try to raise some military through ind. combat drill. Cause you will have to deal with those goblins later. That dwarf is just making a sacrifice by bying you some time. Obviously, she will die from thirst and hunger soon.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:49 am »

There was mentioned on several places in forum bug about semi-immortal dwarves involved in real or phantom combat. They eventually die when enemy is disposed of and no moment earlier.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:38:10 am »

You could wall them off and then cause a cave-in. Or magma-in.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:41:07 pm »

There was mentioned on several places in forum bug about semi-immortal dwarves involved in real or phantom combat. They eventually die when enemy is disposed of and no moment earlier.

like he said, try to kill the gob and see if she dies then, might jus b stuck in a combat loop and not letting the dwarf die

pulsusego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »

this idea cant be just mine... i'd wall 'em in glass and make them a tourist attraction. that's just awesome.
I got a high master!!!.... animal caretaker... ****.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 02:02:49 pm »

I shot this fisherdwarf with a steel ballista arrow around 5 times. Didn't die for a season or two.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 03:07:49 am »

This thread is so awesome.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 04:09:40 am »

>she was disgusted by miasma lately

That miasma is from her own rotting hands and face, isn't it?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 04:14:41 am »

... semi-immortal dwarves ...

Semi? In the state she is she looks more like a Gelatinous cube than a dwarf...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:02 am »

I eventually savescummed this fortress to the previous season, coz the goblins had killed or disrupted pretty much the entire fort once it was all over.

I did sit and watch combat until she died before I went back, though.  I missed seeing the actual death "in person" but while I was in another part of the fort I finally saw the "has died" message ...

... a full season after my original post.

She spent nearly half a year bleeding and having a goblin pikeman twisting his pike in her upper body and hacking at pretty much every possible body part.  I bet she was Legendary in the dying skill by the time she finally bled out.

I have this mental image of the goblin jumping out and going "GRAWW!" and stabbing her in the chest with his pike.  So she leans against the wall and starts having a one-sided conversation with him about the complexities of processing Pig Tails into thread while blood sprays out everywhere like a fountain.  After a month or so of this, he's gone completely insane and stabbing her over and over to get her to shut up and she's showing him a stack of engravings of Urist's new baby and still spraying blood everywhere.

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 05:58:55 am »

I bet she was Legendary in the dying skill by the time she finally bled out.
You forget, legendaries do their work rather quickly. I'd say she was just dabbling, maybe novice, if it took that long to die.