Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydro Power!!!  (Read 1020 times)

AxiumCog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hydro Power!!!
« on: July 19, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »

So ive been playing with dams lately. Been trying to solve the "reservoir wont fill unless the source is higher" problem.

I think i have a solution, tell me if im wrong.

PUMP STACK!

Im thinking if you build pump stacks the height you want the reservoir to fill to, then they will pump water out to fill the back side of the dam. i think the water has to be completely cut off from the tail end of the river to keep the water from being absorbed into the creek.

Any tips/suggestions?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hydro Power!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:48 pm »

ooh fluid logic... perfect staging ground for fun.

yes a pump will put water into a cistern until it reaches the level of the pump itself. Be careful of pressure though, it's a leading cause of fortress deaths.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:29 pm »

I don't think reservoirs DO fill unless you have a source higher up. >.> The main difference is that in the real world, you can go quite a long way back to find "higher up", whereas in DF, you can only go to the edge of the map.

But yes, be very wary of where your outlets are. Having a single tile in the wrong place - especially an orthogonal tile; diagonals are *slightly* more forgiving - can spell cold, watery doom for your fortress.

With lots of pleasing mist, though, so at least they might die happy...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

Rivers do not magically absorb water (unless they've changed since 40d). They're just very quick routes for the water to pressure-pathfind to the downstream end of the river, where they can then fall off the map edge. If you pump water into a river faster than it can go off the downstream map edge, it can overflow.
That said, you should indeed floor over the river upstream from your dam just to make sure you're constantly bringing new water onto the map rather than cycling the same water through your pumps.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:44:17 pm »

On that note, will water flow off the edge of the map just anywhere? I'm in the middle of building a dam and want to know if I have to make more walls.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:20:02 pm »

On that note, will water flow off the edge of the map just anywhere? I'm in the middle of building a dam and want to know if I have to make more walls.

Yes, water and magma will flow off any edge of the map that it meets, whether on the surface, in the caverns, or through fortifications carved in the unmineable stone on the edge of the map.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »

Yes, water and magma will flow off any edge of the map that it meets, whether on the surface, in the caverns, or through fortifications carved in the unmineable stone on the edge of the map.

it didn't back in 40d you could wall off the edge of the map and create a pasidge using bridges then fill the wall space with magma made the perfect defence  :)
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:38:53 pm »

Water did, magma didn't. I can confirm that in 31.10, water flows off the map edge. I can't comment on magma though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »

I can comment on magma however, as in 40d ALL my forts had awesome impenetrable magma moats, so the very first thing I did in 2010 was embarked on a volcano and poked holes in it  3 or 4 z levels above ground level and let the magma flow.  Unfortunately it ran off the edges of the map and did not fill it with burning hot love as I was hoping.  Since then I have made a few magma traps and such which use edge drains to evacuate the used magma in order to get into the sump and collect the goblinite.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »

I should've specified I was using 40d. So it won't go over?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »

I should've specified I was using 40d. So it won't go over?

Water flows off the edge in 40d, it is magma that does not.  Check out snaketributes for an example of the implications of this fact.  But yea, if you have any open edges in the area you want to fill with water, you need to block them off or the water will flow off the map.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 11:11:59 pm »

Alright then. I guess it'll end up looking more like a river-fed reservoir than a dam, but oh well.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:12 am »

I find aquifers to be valuable sources of infinite water.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"