Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Connect Lever to Lever  (Read 2184 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Connect Lever to Lever
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:57 pm »

Perpetual motion is a dwarvenly pastime. And perhaps I want to connect different levers to different things, and one lever to in the darkness bind them. For example: 10 levers to open 10 different bridges, and one lever to flip all the levers and thus open all the bridges.

Or one lever to flip a lever, which then flips the first lever, and on and on.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
Re: Connect Lever to Lever
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »

Perptual motion by linking levers wouldn't work, as levers transmit on or off signals, and do not toggle position.
Though a master/emergency switch to set off multiple switches at once would be cool.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:33:20 pm »

I think this was suggested before.

For me it wouldn't matter matter if levels don't flip positions as long as I can sync them with master level. Lets say master is OFF, some slave levers are ON and some OFF. When a Dwarf flips master, all slaves that were OFF flip to ON, so all slaves become ON. It works pretty much the same with bridges and floodgates if you connect them to two levers.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »

Linking Lever to Lever and Pressure Plate to Lever is one of the thing I've been asking for, as it can streamline trap design and mega projects.
3 pressure plates controlling 8 bridges, 24 linkages currently, 11 if you can link all the plates to a lever then the lever to the bridges.

Reverse linkages would be nice too, along with lock lever position and manual reset pressure plates (like single use plates, but you can reset with a linked lever or a dwarf job).

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:37 am »

That, plus moving "link lever" job to object (you usually have fewer levers than gears, door or bridges, so q over gear assembly -> link to lever -> choose lever), and adding some logic gates would make things so much easier.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:49 pm »

I'll be honest, when I first thought up suggesting this topic, I thought it was already a feature.

Then I found out it wasn't a feature, and so I suggested it. I can think of several things I could do with this.

ZioAnthros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:24 pm »

Options (almost) always = good.
This options is no exception.
Probably pretty easy to throw in there, and would make some interesting constructions easier and more efficient to build.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 04:10:16 am »

i have a multi story fortress with bars that can initiate 'lockdown' and block all stairways. right now i have to pray to god the master control room doesn't get taken but if i could have synchronized levers across all floors... yeah that would work. what i would love to see it a choice between sync and master connections. master being as described one lever that all the others copy but the others can still be toggled independently and sync being a 2 way "both levers copy each other"
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:20 am »

Perpetual motion is a dwarvenly pastime. And perhaps I want to connect different levers to different things, and one lever to in the darkness bind them. For example: 10 levers to open 10 different bridges, and one lever to flip all the levers and thus open all the bridges.

Or one lever to flip a lever, which then flips the first lever, and on and on.

This is less efficient than simply linking one lever to 10 bridges, but it would still be useful to have the various triggers to be able to trigger each other.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 01:15:28 pm »

This has already been suggested here, and possibly in other places as well.

One similar recommendation I've seen (and endorsed) is a mechanical relay - acts just like a lever or pressure plate, except instead of being triggered manually or by a creature/liquid, it's triggered by the presence/absence of mechanical power. As an added bonus, it can also be made to function exactly like what you've suggested, though at the cost of some mechanical power (and with the added bonus of not wasting mechanisms whenever you want to move the source lever, since you can deconstuct/rebuild the gear assembly in front of the relay and reclaim its mechanism).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.