Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: beachfront property  (Read 1685 times)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: beachfront property
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:24 am »

Well, for the moment, I'm no longer concerned about getting water into my fort...

I don't normally do much with aquifers.  They may or may not be on any particular site I embark to, but I don't typically utilize them much.  So I sort of forgot that there were aquifers on this map.

I managed to dig down below one without ever encountering it.  Started setting up workshops and stockpiles and whatever else.  Then I was clearing out some living space a couple levels up and pierced the aquifer.

Yes, I saw the damp stone warning.  But I didn't realize what that meant given the location I was digging in, and I just told them to keep digging.

I pierced the thing horizontally, in an undeveloped part of the fort, with several developed levels below.  It flooded pretty quickly, and I didn't really have any way to stop the water on that level, so it poured down below.  Lost several dwarves, a lot of my goods are now on the wrong side of a lot of water, as are a number of my workshops, and a few stranded dwarves.

I'm not sure if I'll try to rescue this fort or just start over again now that I know where the aquifer is.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: beachfront property
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 06:55:12 am »

Urist McStranded: Help us! Help us we're going to die down here!

Urist McSurvivor: screw that! too much work
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]