Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 752 times)

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:19:09 am »

Greetings!

Well I'm new to dwarf fortress and have some questions which I couldn't clarify via the Wiki up until now.

(1) How can I dispose of corpses? Visitors of my fortress are standing kneedeep in rotting goblin corpses and nobody seems to care. I can't dump them, i can't throw them on refuse and I can't throw them on a graveyard. Why?

(2) Reports coming in that someone can't wash himself because he can't reach a certain area. This is known bug I think, but should it still be occuring in 31.10? Or do I have to consider something regarding this cleaning thing? I have a well, or do they need some kind of washingroom to clean themselfes?

(3) A while back a Beaverman visited my fort. But it wasn't your ordinary mad beaverman which kills everything in sight. It was a diplomat. He entered my fortress and I thought he wanted to talk with my mayor. But on his way in he smashed my trade depot and 2 weapon racks. I thought WTF? Ok but I can't kill him in the end it's a diplomat. I didn't wanted to create an incident and let it slip. He entered the lower parts of my fortress, smashed two doors on his way to my dining room and set down.
I thought, seriously WTF this is an unpleasant visitor. But he didn't attack any dwarfs and I thought, well as long as he just sits there... maybe he waits for an audience. Then I forgot about him. Maybe 1 month later he started to go mad as he entered my sleeping area and smashed any furniture on sight. In his rampage he entered a room and began with the demolition work. I thought, "Now I've got ya!" and build a wall to trap him in the room. After he was done he left the room. On his way out he smashed the wall I built.

There was no way around it, I gathered my squads and attacked him. It was a fierce fight, and one of my 30 dwarfs died in the action. What a fat basterd...
So my actual question, may I face a raging beaverman siege in the near future because I killed their diplomate???
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:23:29 am »

nah, that was the human's diplomant

humans are weak-minded creatures who worship freaks and appoint them to special positions in our society
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:00 am »

Oh I see... mh I really had an human ambush afterwards... well I have to see if their caravans still come...
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:36:17 am »

>_>

He smashed a *wall*?

...that shouldn't happen... but if it does I'm very, very happy...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:39:10 am »

from what ive heard it looks like human-demon siplomats can smash walls

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:40:43 am »

They can certainly smash wall designations. My theory is that demonplomats are actually fourth dimensional beings who can destroy your walls as soon as the concept of a wall being in that location appears in a dwarven mind.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:43:04 am »

I've *really* wanted something that can destroy constructions... makes war so much more interesting...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:45:02 am »

i think toady is gonne eventually implement siege weaponry for the other team

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

I've *really* wanted something that can destroy constructions... makes war so much more interesting...

I'd imagine it would change the temper of battles entirely, especially when the local Bronze Colossus just up and wades right through your outer wall and absconds with your mayor's upper torso.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 09:54:27 am »

(1) How can I dispose of corpses? Visitors of my fortress are standing kneedeep in rotting goblin corpses and nobody seems to care. I can't dump them, i can't throw them on refuse and I can't throw them on a graveyard. Why?
Note really sure.  But if you've set them for dumping, they're outside and you haven't disabled the "ignore outdoors refuse" default setting, it could stop any other stockpile activities.

(Actually, there's also the auto-forbid on corpses, etc, that you might have needed to turn off.  Or, it having been on at the time of death, you need to set each corpse (or 'paint' them with a "reclaim" under the "designate | buildings and whatsits" menu).  Is that perhaps the true reason/solution?)

(2) Reports coming in that someone can't wash himself because he can't reach a certain area. This is known bug I think, but should it still be occuring in 31.10? Or do I have to consider something regarding this cleaning thing? I have a well, or do they need some kind of washingroom to clean themselfes?

I've not had this problem.  Probably because I've not run any fort long enough (and dirty enough) to need it, so can't really answer this.  Is it soap they're after?

(3) A while back a Beaverman visited my fort. But it wasn't your ordinary mad beaverman which kills everything in sight. It was a diplomat. [snip]
At first glance, looks to me like it was an actual diplomat who wanted to talk with your leader/mayor/whoever it is you've got/he wants to talk to, but for whatever reason (your l/m/wii is being kept busy on other jobs, or perhaps you don't have one for some reason or other) he never got his meeting.  And I think if you keep that up for long enough, the friendly liaison-types go postal out of exasperation.  So he wasn't a danger, at first, but became one.  Being a demon-type would explain the Building Destroyer behaviour, once he stopped smooching around the place, as mentioned.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 10:24:59 am »

Building destroyer diplomats are a bit of a problem currently. Buildings don't have a "belongs to [...]" sign, so a building is a building, no matter who built it. And building destroyers do destroy buildings, no matter what. It's somewhat random - sometimes they'll smash everything they see, sometimes the just destroy a few doors when they're to lazy to open them. Walls can not be destroyed by anything once they're finished. But if they're only partially built (where dwarves couldn't pass through anymore), building destroyers can topple them. Even the good old firey clowns from 40d could do it.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!