Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perpetual Rain and Reclaim probs  (Read 680 times)

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perpetual Rain and Reclaim probs
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »

I have recently found what to me seems a near perfect site.
 There are 4 biomes, a ground level volcano, mountains to flatten, sand, flux, iron and everything else. Oh and a Kobold camp just a ways off.

The only problem:  RAIN.     It never stops raining. And I mean never.   I wouldn't mind but for the FPS. So after 3 years of perpetual rainfall I decided to abandon and Reclaim in the hope of starting a new fortress there and turning off weather before the rain struck.   I did lure the kobolds in to try and finish off the Dwarves, but kobolds couldn't even manage that :)

Anyway, I get a crash on Reclaim which is reproducable with other regions/maps and sites while using 31.10.  So my Reclaim idea is out of the window. Does anyone know of a way to force the rain to stop? I am not adversed to cheating or hacking to get this to work right :)

Thanks.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Perpetual Rain and Reclaim probs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »

I have recently found what to me seems a near perfect site.
 There are 4 biomes, a ground level volcano, mountains to flatten, sand, flux, iron and everything else. Oh and a Kobold camp just a ways off.

The only problem:  RAIN.     It never stops raining. And I mean never.   I wouldn't mind but for the FPS. So after 3 years of perpetual rainfall I decided to abandon and Reclaim in the hope of starting a new fortress there and turning off weather before the rain struck.   I did lure the kobolds in to try and finish off the Dwarves, but kobolds couldn't even manage that :)

Anyway, I get a crash on Reclaim which is reproducable with other regions/maps and sites.  So my Reclaim idea is out of the window. Does anyone know of a way to force the rain to stop? I am not adversed to cheating or hacking to get this to work right :)

Thanks.
That's the infinite rain glitch.
And I want it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:06 pm »

At the moment it certainly does look like a glitch.
 Its nothing special, the land won't flood as I don't think rain alone can do that so its just an annoyance. If there was flooding, then it could be quite fun FUN FUN

Anyone know if a Giant glass roof, (or any roof) will stop the FPS drop from the rain?

That's the infinite rain glitch.
And I want it.

If you like I can host a copy of the world gen or the save. I can't just post the world gen here as it is over 40000 characters long hehe.  Or perhaps I could post it in 2 parts....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:40:57 pm by s20dan »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »

I love infinite rain! Also infinite snow.

Weather is interesting! :D

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:04 pm »

I had infinite snow on a Glacier level with a volcano. I thought it was cool too until i found out that it could melt :) 
 Chaos was soon to follow.  Dwarves boiling alive left right and center.  Obsidian all inside my carefully constructed magma moat.  Cats and dogs living together.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:06:07 pm by s20dan »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »

I had infinite snow on a Glacier level with a volcano. I thought it was cool too until i found out that it could melt :) 
 Chaos was soon to follow.  Dwarves boiling alive left right and center.  Obsidian all inside my carefully constructed magma mote.  Cats and dogs living together.

*distant sigh* Sounds like just home...
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

I had infinite snow on a Glacier level with a volcano. I thought it was cool too until i found out that it could melt   
 Chaos was soon to follow.  Dwarves boiling alive left right and center.  Obsidian all inside my carefully constructed magma moat. Cats and dogs living together.

Quote from: Dr. Peter Venkman
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I heard that rant in his voice after that line.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »

Hehe, thats what I was going for ;)

Another year and its still raining... shit, I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

By the way, has anyone else had problems Reclaiming a site or is it just me?  Thats 31.10.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:49 pm »

Hehe, thats what I was going for ;)

Another year and its still raining... shit, I suppose I'll just have to live with it.

By the way, has anyone else had problems Reclaiming a site or is it just me?  Thats 31.10.

nope, same here, unable to reclaim any site, and are you sure it's a bug and not just say, a really high rainfall count? i mean, defualt worlds have minimum rain at 0 and max at 100, once assumes now and again there would be a place with 100 rain.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 05:05:34 pm »

Well I do know that I am in a high rainfall area since I created this map with PerfectWorld, but it hasn't let up once.  I'm hoping that it is just a high rainfall area and that eventually it may stop raining for a while, long enough to turn weather off :)