Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark square sizes  (Read 1593 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark square sizes
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

What's the best embarkment size? Personally I always embark on a 7x7 square because I like lots of space (never had FPS issues because my forts always die/get bored of before they get that big) but I figure I'll get FPS problems sooner than most with squares that big. What's the best balance between space and FPS optimising?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark square sizes
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:47:32 pm »

If you uncap your FPS, you can see firsthand the difference a large Embark zone makes. If you can happily use a 7x7 embark zone, then use it :)  Personally I use 4x4 , 3x3 or occasionally 2x3, but I am an FPS junky....
 I look for at least 500FPs on any given embark zone, so that with some planning and foresight the FPS should never drop below 100. But there are people who will happily play at a lot less.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »

I personally get around 50-60 FPS starting out, which is pretty terrible compared to the numbers you're giving. That said, I've only ever embarked on 7x7 so I don't know any better. I shall try a 4x4 and see what the difference is like.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just uncapped my FPS, is it normal to get 350000+ FPS on the title screen?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:58:10 pm by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »

Well OF COURSE IT IS/.....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:42:33 am »

EDIT: wow i remembered numbers wrong :P  But yeah that doesnt seem like those numbers are too weird for a title screen

Oh, it seems dwarf fortress only wants to use 1-2 threads of my processer (it is a quad core w/two threads per core) but each core is not too impressive on its own...so i feel that i am getting cheated out of my computer's potential.  Is it possible to get dwarf fortress to use somewhere around 4 threads?

ah okay thank you :D I was just wondering as i know some programs have settings so they can eat up to 8 cores...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:28:15 am by Xenos »
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

escherfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:02:00 am »

DF2010 uses one thread for gameplay and one for graphics/interface. Usually the gameplay one is the limiting factor, so one core will be maxed out (unless you have an FPS cap) and the other will be mostly idle. DF will not currently use more than two threads. Prior to 2010 it didn't even use two so think yourself lucky.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:59 am »

I like 2x2 at the moment very much. I was using 3x3 before. In 31.x that is; I used larger areas in 40d.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 02:53:30 am »

You use 7x7 in the recent versions? That's... really damn big. I'm surprised you get decent FPS on that. I have to wonder how much RAM that uses, since a default 4x4 embark uses about 500MB, and 7x7 is over three times as large.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==