Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a desert  (Read 823 times)

Beard Supremacy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making a desert
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:37 am »

Recently I decided to improve my DF skills and move on to some harder challenges/construction projects. Now I'm looking forward to building a large aboveground fortress in scorching terrifying desert biome, but while trying to carry this out I got stuck with quite an unexpected problem: it's damn hard to find a scorching terrifying desert.
I tried to design worlds with set parameters, but varying the rainfall/drainage values didn't bring the desirable result. PerfectWorld utility also wasn't of much use to me. I'm definitely doing something wrong, but I can't find out what exactly.
Could anybody please explain how exactly these parameters work and how can I get my desert using them? I would also appreciate world seeds and/or pre-generated worlds possessing the features described above.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a desert
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:00:51 am »

I'm playing on a custom-paramter'd world, and my terrifying embark site of 2x2 has a normal and a red sand desert intersecting with a forest. Yeehaw.

Anyways, I got my deserts this way: High temperature, low elevation, low rainfall. Mind you, *most* of my map is actually hills. But there's an acceptable amount of desert tiles around there.

Oh, and just try generating bigger worlds, with fewer and smaller oceans.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:07:46 am »

I had similiar problem month ago - i wanted to create desert-with-volcano site.
I've come up with this params set:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dont remember which params increased amount of deserts, tho. Should write down all results next time.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:41:00 am »

If your using perfect world, you can set the wind direction to allow you to place deserts in a particular place..

EG:
       ---->            /\             ---->
        ---->          /  \/\
       xxxmxxx     /M \  \          xxDxxDxx

----> :   Wind    xxxmxxx: Moistland   xxDxxDxx: Desert      /\M: Mountain

Basically that means that if you have a wind going east, with a mountain directly east of that wind, then directly east of the mountain will be deserts... Just like how Africa was created.

You can also play with the various heights of grass and trees, to force more deserts below certain heights.

I'm using a neat world at the moment that contains many deserts and low volcanoes as well as a few hidden surface magma pipes, also the odd couple of underwater volcanoes :)  Here it is in case anyone would like to try it:  Actually the site won't let me include it, since the file is more than 40000 characters.  Its a very large worldgen file.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:48:11 am by s20dan »

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:46 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Advanced_world_generation

World Painter Parameters section shows you what settings give each landscape. Basically if you want all desert and still have dwarven civilizations, you'll need 0-9 rainfall, and 0-32 drainage, but leave height at 400 so you get mountain civilizations.

As for terrifying, just jack up the amount of evil regions and raise savagery to about 60.

Unfortunately Dwarven civilizations tend to die out under such "terrifying" situations, so you might need to stop world generation at year 2.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:05:01 am »

Or play a generational fort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Beard Supremacy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »

Thanks everybody for your replies, things became much clearer to me.  :)