Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frozen Ocean problem.  (Read 1421 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Frozen Ocean problem.
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »

Okay, so I have this really nice map, there's an sea, a swamp, the aquifer doesn't cover the whole map and I've got native obsidian in the ground...

Problem: The sea froze over during winter, and when it gets to spring, it's unfreezing crashing the game.
I tried turning of the temperature, which works, but now my dwarves are complaining about the lack of water... and turning temp back on crashes the game...

How should I go about this?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen Ocean problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:05:39 pm »

Are you sure it crashed the game?

It can often seem to hang the game, when, in fact, it's just taking *forever* to do the unfreezing part.  If it seemed to hang, and you just end-tasked it/killed the process, try it again, and give it 2-10 minutes to do the job.

I made this mistake before, assuming it was just hanging the game.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:09:49 pm »

Well, I think it's just taking forever, but I've had it run for 15 minutes before deciding it was a lost cause...
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

Abandon, reclaim, and turn temp off before the first winter.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:26:09 am »

Problem with that is maps that freeze tend to be frozen in early Spring.  Abandoning and reclaiming wont help cuz it'll remain frozen.

Got a flash drive and a friend with a better computer? Copy the game, try it on a better machine, hope it works.  If not, turn the temperature off and dig to find water underground.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:16 am »

Well, I think it's just taking forever, but I've had it run for 15 minutes before deciding it was a lost cause...
Wait 30 minutes  8)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 08:44:54 am »

Problem with that is maps that freeze tend to be frozen in early Spring.  Abandoning and reclaiming wont help cuz it'll remain frozen.

Got a flash drive and a friend with a better computer? Copy the game, try it on a better machine, hope it works.  If not, turn the temperature off and dig to find water underground.

Really? In all the maps that I've been on that freeze, they either do it in early winter to late winter, or just mid-winter.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:30 am »

Eh... Maybe I go to colder maps than you do then... I tend to go for Cold over Temperate since I've never had much luck getting Temperate to freeze and I like to build my fortresses from ice.  In the cold ones atleast, the maps tend to freeze in mid to late autumn and not thaw until some time in spring.

Anyways, another idea I had... Turn off the temperature while frozen, mine the entire ocean away, THEN try turning temperature back on.  Get rid of the ice and there will be less to thaw... though the ocean refilling might kill your frame rate too...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:24 am »

And your dwarves.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »

Didn't this change a bit recently?  I just started playing in .03, myself, and didn't see this in temperate maps.  Then, I think, Toady changed something, and in .05 or .06 I started seeing temperate maps starting out with freestanding water frozen, whereas before I didn't see that in temperate maps.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)