Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Healthcare and trees  (Read 910 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Healthcare and trees
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:47 am »

What do I have to do to make my doctor diagnose miner who broke his arm? I have diagnosis job enbaled on 3 persons. (dwarf Therapist) I have chief medical dwarf too, and hospital zone with beds and lockers for soap and stuff like that.
EDIT: It seems I was too impatient, the wound is now diagnosed and cleaned too. (raccoon soap ftw)
EDIT2: Now they refuse to do surgery because "patient not resting" He is sleeping in bed with tables and traction benches nearby, what could be wrong?

Also after creating a well the game thinks that trees and shrubs can grow in my fortress. How can I stop them from blocking hallways and doors? If I channel water down to lower floors to create new well for the hospital are trees going to grow there too? Can they grow in rock salt floors? I've read many stories of catastrophes happening because of trees blocking doors/levers/hallways.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:38:20 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Healthcare and trees
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:23:37 am »

The growth of trees can be prevented by placing a constructed floor, road, or any other building or construction, in that space.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:30:37 am »

If they won't do surgery try removing the table(s) in the hospital. This generally works for me, and they will do it where the dwarf lies. This is on the bug tracker, I'm not looking it up now though!

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

The "not resting" thing is a bug I thought was fixed.  The doctor goes to the patient in bed, picks them up to take them to the table for surgery, and then cancels the task because the dwarf is no longer resting in a bed.  Try putting the table right next to the bed, that seems to work for me.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:06 pm »

If you construct a paved road and then remove the road it will remove all mud, smoothing, or even engravings on the floor. You can do this to remove mud or even to reset a floor so your engravers can engrave it again.

If you chop down a tree the tile turns into soil instead of rock. Constructing a floor over that soil and removing the constructed floor will revert it back to stone, and it will also remove the mud.

Generally it is easier to use paved roads just due to speed of construction, but a paved road will not change the underlying tile type. Constructed floors will. Constructed floors can turn soil into stone, and can "erase" the surface of a brook.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

I placed the table next to bed and it worked. Now hes happily running around with splint in his hand, hauling food to stockpiles. This hospital system is awesome, thousands times funnier than some generic potion/autohealing system.  :D

The paved road worked finely to remove all plants from my fort. Thanks for all answers!

[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.