Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titans  (Read 588 times)

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Titans
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:43 am »

So, any realistic ways of killing a flying condor made out of jade which keeps killing things in my fortress long after everything but several toes in its body have been broken?

My second titan and I was just about to start producing steel equipment for my sole (albeit full) squad and this defecating (Frozen extract hits dog in the left rear leg, bruising it!) bird-brain decides to crash the party.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Titans
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:34 am »

You could try decapitating it with a battle axe.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:58 am »

Thing is, even after purchasing every weapon of Dwarven make from every caravan there's been through my fortress (humanity seems to be extinct on my map, along with goblins for that matter) I have no cutting weapons whatsoever discounting some pathetic wooden elf-swords. Not that the drafted Dwarves would have any experience with them in any case, though. The military set-up seems to be quite the pain.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:30 am »

It's a pain in the beginning but then you put 2 and 2 together and you're like "oh COOL i can assign them all sorts of stuff and customize everything!"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:58:44 am »

A pain as in they don't train. I can set the buggers up just fine (or so it seems) but what little combat experience they have seems to have been from wrestling some of the wolves that occasionally become aggressive.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:59:51 am »

Make it move down a narrow corridor and pin it down with balistas.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:02:00 pm »

Now I might add that my plan was to defend a perimeter between two hills with funnels into trapped areas until I have enough well-equipped dwarves to take my things underground.

Then this comes along, flies right over my wall and despite having every useful thing in its body broken keeps killing things.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »

A pain as in they don't train. I can set the buggers up just fine (or so it seems) but what little combat experience they have seems to have been from wrestling some of the wolves that occasionally become aggressive.

Set schedule for all 12 months to no activity, activate schedule, watch them do individual combat training in their assigned barracks, watch them get experience.

I have a grand master axe dwarf who has done very little in the way of actual combat.

Tupimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:09 pm »

That does seem slightly counterproductive from a logical standpoint, doesn't it?

Think it's time to abandon, though. Can't get anything going when this is right in the area of my main staircase so I can't dispose of it.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »

...I thought the training bug was fixed in this version?

If it's possible to cave something in on it, do that because apparently it's a 100% chance to kill everything.
I believe it's the same with encasing it in obsidian (though you may not have access to magma)
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

I've got 2 squads training right now, only thing you need to do is ensure they have seperate barracks. As for the schedule, I find that while leaving them unassigned means they will occasionally do individual drills (it seems to depend on the dwarf whether they can be bothered), actually assigning them to train means that you get organised demonstrations (dodging, striking, wrestling, etc).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 04:00:01 pm »

If it's possible to cave something in on it, do that because apparently it's a 100% chance to kill everything.
I believe it's the same with encasing it in obsidian (though you may not have access to magma)

Seconded. Cave Ins, which are fairly easy to set up, kill everything.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.