Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: War Dog Methods  (Read 1308 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
War Dog Methods
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »

What are some good methods you have created, or used involving war dogs? Is it possible to protect a whole fortress simply with a pack of dogs? Any tips and tricks would be interesting and helpful, thanks! :D

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: War Dog Methods
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:51:02 pm »

In theory, yes it is possible, but extremely difficult/inefficient to do so since...
1. You can't control them directly
2. They take time to reproduce and grow from puppies into carnivorus doggies.
3. They have a hard time killing anything with a thin layer of iron on their bodies

A more efficient method would be to just have 2-3 dwarves train as ordinary soldiers and assign all the war dogs to them so that when they go into battle, the war dogs follow along into the fray.

I also find that even a large pack of them can take up to several months to kill a forgotten beast, whereas an axedwarf could finish the same tasks in just a few days (game days I mean).

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:09:10 pm »

Funnel all invaders through one possible, narrow path into your fort.  In that path build a cage attached to a lever.  Put a bunch of war dogs and other animals in that cage.  When invaders get to the cage, activate the lever and let them out.

In reality, animals don't fare well against heavily armored opponents.  This can buy a little time, at the very least.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:43:15 pm »

can pets die while in cages?
If not, then set their skin temperature to (!!Very Hot!!) and set the dogsplosion off once a siege come.