Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So I'm trying to tame fish...  (Read 1059 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm trying to tame fish...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 06:09:17 am »

So it would seem adding the [PET] tag to various fish in the raws had an awesome side-effect. Some elf merchants just arrived with a tamed pike in a cage. Huzzah!

O_o

*Goes off to modify raws*

Taming an animal doesn't require releasing it from its cage and as long as the cage was in 4/7 water when the trap went off the fish won't air-drown.

I have successfully inserted my new tamed pike into a 1x1 pool. Now to wait for the elves to bring more... :D
Oh and it was in a normal cage. Cages are indeed funny that way.

YOU MUST CREATE A NEW THREAD FOR THIS! SCIENCE DEMANDS IT!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:06 am »

I find there to be no less than one group of animals (or a large predator type) to be on any 3X3 local map. I'm not too sure of larger maps, but considering what you've written. I would say that you can probably only two groups of local migrating wild life on your map.
Note sure if this helps at all with the OP's issue, but could it be that wildlife of some kind migrating through (as yet unrevealed) caverns is substituting for the fish you are expecting?

Probably on the wrong track, there.  The mechanics of the game are probably 'revealedness'-aware, in some way, so that what's hidden is irrelevant, as well as not visible on the creatures listing.  (Although I've often had 'exotic' prepared meats appear on the stocks list, as forbidden, which may or may not have turned out to be property (or end-product of) some subterranean civilisation that I later find encamped on the edge of my vision, when I first break into the caverns.  So it probably doesn't work that way either, or is subtly bugged.)

Leeko

• Bay Watcher
  • Wab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 09:31:15 am »

I got bored and frustrated (no weapon-making metals present unless I went into the underground, which I wasn't planning on doing without a military) with that fortress and abandoned it. It had been two years and no more fish migrated into my area, I'm pretty sure none would have. I'll just start a new one in a more ideal location and hope that I get lucky again with those elves.
"Asen Zoz, 'The Gravel of Pondering' - This is a Alunite Harp. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of Blossomeven the Cold Tactics the perfect precious fire opal in Precious fire opal."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:35 am »

I got bored and frustrated (no weapon-making metals present unless I went into the underground, which I wasn't planning on doing without a military) with that fortress and abandoned it. It had been two years and no more fish migrated into my area, I'm pretty sure none would have. I'll just start a new one in a more ideal location and hope that I get lucky again with those elves.

Insofar as the caverns, a tactic that I use which has not failed me (while strictly maintaining it) is digging stairwells down to break into a reveal the caverns usually from the top (i.e. unroutable between caverns and fortress by ground tiles alone, and if I happen to stairwell into the walled side of a 1Z-high section, I could have channelled out the stairwell access and capped it) then send a second branch vertically down through an appropriate mass of cavern wall to discover the next one down.  If I like the look of any resources that aren't floor-level, I can build my own walkways (or alternate tappings into the system) into that area (further expanding my visibility).  So far, nothing has flown up onto any of the walkways I'm building.

Occasionally, of course, one finds that the vertical shafts already did punch through a cavern layer in the midst of a rock pillar. :)

(The latest fort, I've not intentionally breached the caverns, and not done any such exploratory actions but I managed to plan the lower two levels of my bedroom zone such that it intersected the top of some particularly tall caverns[1].  Currently they're wide open to anything that might fly, or climb up walls, but nothing has tried.  I'm taking some time to wall and floor it off in the appropriate variety of stone (to fit what would have been there if it wasn't cavern) and may even install some windows in some of the gaps.)

But from the fish-taming POV, yes, you're probably as well starting over.

[1] The bedroom zone goes maybe 4Zs up into the mountain, from the level of the plain that I dug into it from, and is 10Z deep in total, so that's 5 and 6 Zs below 'ground' level.  Which is the highest I've ever seen caverns, but then I've not embarked in such a disjointed place before.  The embarkation map showed almost solid "8" and "*" and worse cliff edges over the entire zone, despite the NE 9x9 square being entirely plain (with a few ponds, but not enough to give such indication of undulations), so maybe the site-chooser was picking up on cavern topology...
Pages: 1 [2]