Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.08 - Nudist Dwarves?  (Read 761 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.08 - Nudist Dwarves?
« on: July 13, 2010, 05:30:56 pm »

Hello,

So, I've been running a fortress for some years now. Their clothes just rotted off from them, so I produced some new pants and shirts and stuff.

They claim these items just fine, but they refuse to actually wear them.

Now that they all have a little cabinet of their own (at last), they're storing socks and some clothing items inside, but they just won't equip them. Sure, they are all extremely busy at all times, so maybe they just don't find the time to don their pants.

Is there something wrong in this version so that they won't actually dress themselves anymore?

I'm feeling a bit queasy at the sight of those little nudist buggers, because it's an awfully freezing biome and they sometimes run outside to reload the traps.

The fortress size is 21 dwarves, and I've an arsenal dwarf. Even though I don't think that the arsenal dwarf should be involved in what the civilians (i.e. all of the lot) are wearing...?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.08 - Nudist Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 05:38:07 pm »

I modded out clothing in my game to reduce clutter. There are no ill effects to nude dwarves, though dwarves are significantly more vulnerable to damage. Clothing actually absorbs a great deal of damage.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »

So they just won't wear their pants at the moment?
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:58:57 pm »

I think I read somewhere that Toady disabled it to prevent clutter caused by them leaving their clothes all over the place when they change.  So, yeah, it seems clothing is just clutter until that gets re-enabled and fixed, unfortunately.  My female miner with the spectacular physique running around naked doesn't bother me so much, but the thought of my ex-arsenal dwarf running around naked, belarded with great hanging sacks of fat...  just delightful.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »

Hmm.. clutter reduction. This makes somewhat sense.

In 40d, I found it extremely annoying how they would always grab new clothes before the old ones were rotted away, and then they'd put the worn rags somewhere onto the ground. And that doesn't even take that dungeon mistress with her cloak fetish or the mayor with her sock fetish into account.

However, the horrors of naked obese dwarves aside, it's a pity that they won't wear their stuff anymore, given how extremely defensive clothes were (at least in 31.01.)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 06:40:45 pm »

I had noticed that also.  In 40d I would let my Dwarves wear their clothing completely out and then I would make a nice production run of silk socks and leather shoes so they didn't hurt their feet running around barefoot.  Two-thirds of them would wear two socks on the right foot and one sock on the left foot.  The others didn't get any socks at all.  At least they didn't wear two shoes on the same foot, but they often wore only one shoe.  *sighs*

Well, if 31.x Dwarves won't wear new clothing I guess I don't have to worry about the garment industry.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:35:22 am »

This is too bad because I like the clothing industry a lot. :/

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 05:12:13 am »

Me too, actually.  I was really looking forward to seeing a bunch of dwarves decked out in masterfully-dyed, woven and image-sewn clothes with goblinbone hanging from them worth 1,000 and more -- almost as much as a few square meals (gasp!).

(What with prepared meals being ridiculously valuable and all.)

Hopefully he'll reimplement it soon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)