Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: difference betweeen glass windows and walls  (Read 858 times)

herpaderp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
difference betweeen glass windows and walls
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »

What are the differences between glass windows and just constructing walls out of glass blocks?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: difference betweeen glass windows and walls
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »

They're worth more, so Dwarves like them more.

Also, I think you can see out of them like grates, so you can spot Carl the Kobold before he steals your Nader gems.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

herpaderp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

the windows are worth more? Ok thanks
So if I wanted to make a big tower of glass, it would be better in every way to make it out of windows unless i was afraid of my dwarves being afraid of animals and stuff outside the first floor, right?

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »

I dont think windows support anything. They're a decoration like statue. So the walls would still be needed for actual constructions. Also you never seen any walls made out of glass blocks? They used to be really popular. They're very different from windows.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:30 pm »

I suppose you can always have both; glass windows interspersed with glass walls for support.

herpaderp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:36:52 pm »

even though windows don't support anything, they don't need to be supported to be there, right? So as long as there is adjacent floor to each of the windows on each level it should be fine, righht?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:06:39 pm »

Last I checked, windows definitely need to be supported from below - you have to build them on top of a floor tile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:09:59 pm »

They also don't need to look outside of anything, so they're easy ways to get room value up as well. Also no, windows do not support anything above them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"