Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: F**king Stockpiles  (Read 648 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
F**king Stockpiles
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:46 pm »

Pardon my language, but I am just SO FRUSTRATED right now. Stockpiles- Near my forges, I set up a new Bar/Block stockpile. Because I only want metal, I go into the stockpile and turn off Stone (Bars/Blocks->Blocks->Stone). And then thirty dwarves grab a metric fuck-tonne of stone blocks and start heading down to the basement. What the fuck? This happened earlier, as I built a stockpile that banned everything but wood items. And the fuckers fill it up with stone mechanisms.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? IS THIS A BUG?

NO, NO YOU BEARDED MORONS, TAKES THOSE BACK TO WHERE YOU FOUND THEM! NE TOUCHE PAS!

Edit: Okay, I'm a little better. I've calmed down. Just.... so many stone blocks in the wrong pile. Broke me a little.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:17:21 am by Cespinarve »
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: F**king Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 03:08:06 am »

Drown em all.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:14:10 am »

blocks and bars can be stacked into bins, reducing the required hauling.

And i think df right now has a little trouble with cancelling jobs like this.

Haul blocks there? ok! *marks all blocks* Oh, you dont want stone blocks anymore? whatever, let me get that gabbro one you told me about earlier and see if you change your mind :)

Bacc

• Escaped Lunatic
  • True story, Google it. Happened in Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 03:21:47 am »

I had a similar problem myself - cant remember the exact fix but look deeper into the Blocks:Metal menu and I think all the stone types are in there as well. If you tell them to stop bringing metal blocks, so the pile is only bars, it should do what you were wanting

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:53 am »

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, and it worked. But I had so many idle swarves, and they ALL decided that itould be Stone Block time now.

Twits.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 11:01:25 am »

Doesnt that happen when you set a bar/block pile, but dont set the options properly before you unpause the first time?

Because if you just create the pile and then set the more defined options using <q> chances are the game went on for a tick or two and all those hauling jobs have already been created. So you have to wait til that's done and THEN the dwarves will notice that they didnt exactly do what you planned.

If that's the case, I guess you cant really blame them. I'm no programmer, but I figure if they checked all the time if their destination pile has changed, FPS would be a lot worse....

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:29:18 pm »

*always* pause the game before designating a stockpile, and only unpause it after the proper settings have been set.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:31:59 pm »

Am I the only one who thought:
"Gee, I wonder how you stockpile that?" and
"Wow, I better upgrade to 0.31.10!" and
"I wonder which workshops use it?"
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »

Yes, it is a bug, because stone blocks are considered metal right now, so the individual kinds of stone are listed under Metal Blocks. That is, kaolinite blocks are considered a metal block, not disabled by disabling stone under Blocks.

If you want to use a stockpile for blocks, I suggest disabling blocks entirely and only enable the kind of blocks you want to use in that particular stockpile.

Note that if you only enable bars at that stockpile, it'll still only take (metal) bars.