Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another noob asking about caverns.  (Read 588 times)

Featherblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another noob asking about caverns.
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:48:17 am »

Hello, I'm Featherblade. Recently came from Minecraft to see what this dwarf fortress is, and I've been enjoying it so far. Only thing is, I like to take things cautiously when dealing with new situations. Specifically, I found a cavern...

After reading another thread (and not wishing to revive it (it was 2 weeks old)), I have an idea about how to 'safety' the cave but I'm not sure.

1) Will walls work to block off passages? I think they only reach 2 blocks high, and I don't want to spend unnecessary time making them if they won't help against most creatures.
2) What enemies should I expect to see? I am in a calm surrounding, in the first layer cavern (yes, I'm a real puss. Get over it.)
3) Will a door work to stop monsters getting through the stairwell?

That's all I have to ask. Hope I don't forget I made this thread...

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another noob asking about caverns.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:00:11 am »

Doors are a stopgap solution, since forgotten beasts will eventually seek out and destroy them. Walls will work as long as there's no open space directly above the wall.

If you have an open passage into your fort, creatures will eventually enter your tunnels and make their way up towards your living area. I think the scariest thing that came up from the first level caverns was a cave crocodile, but mostly I got grundles which liked to walk into my traps and die.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:10:34 am »

1) Will walls work to block off passages? I think they only reach 2 blocks high, and I don't want to spend unnecessary time making them if they won't help against most creatures.
Most creatures in the first cavern layer can't fly so a single wall will stop them. To stop flying ones you would want to build more wall ontop of the first one (using stairs to get up) until you reach the roof.

2) What enemies should I expect to see? I am in a calm surrounding, in the first layer cavern (yes, I'm a real puss. Get over it.)
AFAIK the surface biome only affects creatures you find on the surface. So you will get standard first cavern layer monsters, which are generally easy to repel. You can get giant cave spiders (stealthed monsters that are bigger than your dwarves that have poison and have a web attack) but at the moment their natural attacks can't penetrate clothing most of the time. The top level of caverns is about as dangerous as a savage surface biome. (IE not very.)

3) Will a door work to stop monsters getting through the stairwell?
Yes as long as they can't destroy buildings. I think there are a few in the first cavern layer but they aren't that common.

Featherblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

OK, Ill try and use walls then. Thanks for helping :D

Featherblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:38:02 am »

Uh oh. I found a giant Olm in the water a little bit away from where I was going to dig out the wall for my doors. Apparently they are dangerous. Can I ignore it? or will I need to learn about sending military units to attack it.

Or is this really a benign creature that I'm wussing to face up to?

Goodness, I need to learn to have fun.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:07:37 am »

tread carefully around giant anythings
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:35:49 am »

Giant olms are slightly defensive and will occasionally venture on land, but their ability to detect you is really poor.

I typically search top caverns for exposed gems, rock, and ore.  After mining it out, I set up and wall off some farms while harvesting most nearby plants.  No big hurry or danger, but keeping your guard up is always a good idea.