Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I...  (Read 322 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I...
« on: July 12, 2010, 12:25:24 pm »

Went back to playing the earlier version as I couldn't figure out how to build a farm in the new version and my little dudes were starving to death (yes...flame me as I obviously suck at this game..lol).

Anyway, one thing I've never been able to adequately figure out..when starting a world and searching for that "perfect location", how exactly do you input to figure out what you want?  It seems the FIND options are not always related to what appears in the game.

Examples:
Trees: There don't appear to be a search option for a woodland area
Temperate: I typically put in Medium Temperature..but that doesn't always get me what I want even though it shows green as in "found" in my search.
Magma Pool or Tube: I always set these to YES in hopes that at least one of them turns green (as in found).. but can't always find one in my world that is created.
Calm: I don't see any place to input for a calm environment.  I put Low for Evil but still get wierd things that will kill my guys.

As a newer player, and after watching the tutorial and walkthroughs, I want a laid back area, with no beasties to really worry about, magma to have the free smelting (etc), lots of trees and plants for farming and building barrels and bins.

So, not asking for much I know  :P.  How would I set my search parameters to find this utopia?

Also, what's the best way to find the magma underground? 
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: How do I...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

Went back to playing the earlier version as I couldn't figure out how to build a farm in the new version and my little dudes were starving to death (yes...flame me as I obviously suck at this game..lol).

Magma Pool or Tube: I always set these to YES in hopes that at least one of them turns green (as in found).. but can't always find one in my world that is created.

Also, what's the best way to find the magma underground?

Farm: drain a pond into the same z-level as your home, have a pool to hold well-water (build a well, see wiki). Where the water moved on its way to your drinking pool, build a many farm plots there.
All outdoors water is frozen: dig into the dangerous caverns to get a drink. Use cage traps (queue: j-m-q-wooden cage, b-T-c build cagetrap) to make area safer.

Magma: Try digging to Z-level "-120". Boring.
Or have more volcanoes in worldgen so adventurer can go throw corpses in it. Find tag VOLCANO_MIN in the init/world_gen.txt.

Search parameters in Finder... I never use it. I want a non-aquifer 3x3 embark straddling two biomes, one of them evil for zombie rabbits and danger, the other having enough trees.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 01:14:51 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884