Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: military woes  (Read 574 times)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
military woes
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »

So, I've set up my military (31.10), scheduled training all year, and set them to the right alert to do so.

Of the 3 dwarf squad, 2 members are showing scheduled order train (and are doing demonstrations, or trying to, but end up waiting), and the leader of the squad shows no scheduled order, and has 'no job'. He still has his civvie graphic, while the other 2 have the soldier graphic.

If I deactivate and then reactivate the squad, the 2 members who had shown orders swap back to the civvie graphic. I've tried toggling several times, and the non-leaders will swap back and forth and go train, but the leader of the squad stays a civvie... any one know why, or what I can do to get him on board?

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: military woes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 12:42:33 pm »

Oh, and then winter came, and one of the 2 who was soldiery looking is no longer so.
(In announcements, as soon as winter came both went back to civvie jobs, and only one immediately became a soldier again)

So now the squad has 1 who turned into a soldier, and 2 who are still civvies. (They do go do individual combat drills, but won't train as a squad)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »

What is the required number of dwarves for your training? If it needs 10 dwarves (the default) then they won't train if there are less than 10 dwarves in the squad.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »

I set the minimum to 2. There are 3 in the squad.

Note that without me changing any orders, and with year-round training set, the number of dwarves who were turning into soldiers when I activated them went from 2 down to 1, so that now 2 of them appear as the civvie graphic. So I don't know whats going on...

Maybe I should wait some more, had thought this release fixed most of the training and military issues that were keeping me from playing, but maybe not... (Unless I'm missing something)

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:53:22 pm »

Playing around a little more, the dwarves do respond if I issue them a move order or whatnot (and they do turn into the soldier graphic). When I cancel the order though, the 2 that weren't turning into a soldier graphic for training turn back into civvies.

And then when the month changed, the soldier dwarf switched to civvie and one of the previously civvie dwarves switched to soldier...

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »

Try changing it to 3 required dwarves for a while. Don't leave them like this for long as they might train themselves to dehydration, but they should be fine for a month or so.

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:26:44 pm »

Ah, that seems to do the trick. Thanks.

EDIT: Hmm, except I have a 4th dwarf in the squad now... I set the minimum to 4, and the month has changed since I've done that, and he is still running around doing hauling jobs. I've tried toggling the squad's active state... the other 3 are training just fine.
Oh, and the one who isn't training IS showing that he is scheduled to train, unlike before when the minimum was too low, and the others were showing as no scheduled orders.

So, its not that he isn't scheduled... I've tried kicking him off his current task, but he just grabs a new one.
I'll see what happens if I get rid of all his labors.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:44:57 pm by morikal »

morikal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:23:15 pm »

Hmm, I was having trouble for a LONG time with no one activating (even with minimums set).

Building overlapping baracks and setting both to train the squad seems to have fixed it though.

Except now, even though they all have the soldier graphic, some of them are running off for hauling jobs, even though they have ALL labors disabled...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:48:31 pm by morikal »