Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wishing for the Amazon River of the Dorfs  (Read 1206 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Wishing for the Amazon River of the Dorfs
« on: July 11, 2010, 04:32:46 pm »

I just got a hold of a world seed+gen that produces a mountainous region with a major river running across half of it. The river is large enough to be called a major river for 200+ squares on the world map and goes through several large freshwater lakes and is fed by several others. I cannot, however, get it to finish genning. It is always rejected because it requires 313 more low-altitude tiles, and I can't convince the game to accept this.

sorry for no pics yet, but heres the gen info. The world in question appears after 5 rejects (the sixth) and apparently finishes the river, lake and mineral cycles before being rejected.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyone got ideas on how to force it to accept this 6th world? the first 5 are rejected for not having enough grassland squares, the 7th for a volcano deficiency, and the 8th is accepted as-is.
And has anyone ever seen a larger river? Obviously I don't know how wide it is or how many waterfalls it has along it, but has anyone genned a world with a river of this length?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wishing for the Amazon River of the Dorfs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:39:52 pm »

Well I'm fiddling around with world gen parameters too, trying to make an island region with vast amounts of rain, forests, volcanos, and extreme cliffs.

I resorted to letting it run for a while, it eventually asks you if you want to allow the use of the rejected parameter.

I went through three of these menus, now it seems stuck on placing civilizations. :( If anyone can make a island nearly completely covered with forests, volcanos, and cliffs, please post your seed!

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:46:40 pm »

I got a world  after 7 rejects, rivers wide, but 1z deep, makes a good grand canyon in a few spots... and has a few hippos and... some... milkfish.... what the hell is a milkfish...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:50:29 pm »

yeh rivers are only ever 1z deep. I think a milkfish is just a species of carp...

Was your river exceptionally long?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:53:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:09:07 pm »

yeah, it ran from the north most part of the map to about the middle, snaking in some areas, and running through a few lakes before splitting into minor rivers, and eventually brooks.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

my river gets to be 2-3 z levels due to narrow confines and being at a junction of two rivers, one several Z levels above.

you'd probably just need to forcibly narrow and deepen it methinks.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:08:54 pm »

was that with the seed I posted? the one it stops on has only that one river, which is about 1/6 of the river I was meaning to describe. With it, we would know just how wide a river can actually get in DF. Oh well, a hippo's fine too.

I make Spellcrafts!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »

Just decrease the number of low-elevation squares required:

[ELEVATION_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
to:
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:7943:16512:8256]

Maybe knock it down to 7500 just to be safe. I'm not sure if this will result in the same world but it's worth a shot.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

Try my world-gen utility in my sig. You can place mountain borders on the map edge that corral the rivers together, so it's much easier to get major rivers and even junctions of major rivers.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:48:52 pm »

Try my world-gen utility in my sig. You can place mountain borders on the map edge that corral the rivers together, so it's much easier to get major rivers and even junctions of major rivers.
Omg I made a 24 z-level ocean and a 33 tile wide major river x.x
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.