Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows, Grates, dogs, and thief detection  (Read 722 times)

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Windows, Grates, dogs, and thief detection
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:54:02 pm »

It's always been my custom to tie a couple of war dogs or some larger, cooler and/or more dangerous animal in the entrance to my fortresses to deter thieves and snatchers. These days, though, even the couple of swipes a panicked thief takes before fleeing can injure a dog quite badly, and I get tired of replacing them.

I know that a glass window will allow dwarves to see through it. I also know that invader detection is based on the observer skill now, instead of having to be within one square, at least for dwarves. Will my dogs also be able to detect invaders through a window now?

What about bars and grates? I much prefer the mental image of forcing everyone to cross a grated floor with my war dogs growling and snapping beneath their feet. I know that leaves them vulnerable to archers, but I don't mind that so long as they don't get killed by every kobold that comes along.

And while I'm asking questions, I gather that hunting dogs might actually be better for this sort of thing. Would using those instead improve my system at all?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Windows, Grates, dogs, and thief detection
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

I know that in 40d, war dogs would sometimes detect sneaking opponents through fortifications.  Not always, but sometimes.  So presumably in DF2010 any creature has a chance to detect opponents more than one square away depending on their observation skill.  Should work through windows and grates too.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

What if you put the war dogs ABOVE the entryway, with grate floors?  Then if you decide to trap the little thief, you can seal the doors, drop the grates, and let the dogs war tigers chow down?

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »

Oops, I didn't realize I couldn't delete my own post. More used to lurking than posting, I suppose. :(

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 04:18:41 pm »

What if you put the war dogs ABOVE the entryway, with grate floors?  Then if you decide to trap the little thief, you can seal the doors, drop the grates, and let the dogs war tigers chow down?

I've built this sort of entrance in 40d, but my dogs never seemed to detect anything passing below them, so it didn't work that well. :(

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »

Maybe PM toady with suggestion to add war dogs/dogs ability to sniff out goblins and kobolds? I mean, dog have really good scent. Now they just detect them, when thieves actually bump into them. No logic here  :-\