Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiles?  (Read 415 times)

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tiles?
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »

Hey, I'm a complete noob at this game... so sorry if I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions within the next week haha :)

but I've been watching some tutorials on how to work this game, and noticed that all of my tiles are characters of the ANSI set, but on youtube, people have actual images (ie: a dwarf shows a picture of the likeness of well... a dwarf, and I just have a smiley face...). I've downloaded the latest version from the homepage, so what do I need to do to give myself this more informative, and more aesthetically pleasing tileset?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Tiles?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:09:45 pm »

I suggest Phoebus's pre-prepared tileset.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »

Click here for a great tileset.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »

Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »

lol can't say I didn't half expect one of those links to be goatse or something hah
but thanks for the kindness shown to a newbie in the forums- truly a rare spectacle.

speaking of being a newbie... haha what exactly do I do with the downloaded file (in regards to the first link, not the BEEFMO thing...). Do I just run DF from that folder in the same way I would from my other folder? Or is there a way I can just copy over the tileset files...? Thanks!

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:45:48 pm »

also, one more thing- I'm running the OSX version... if that makes a difference.
(I'd assume it shouldn't as all I'd *hopefully* be doing is copying over a folder of some universal image type?)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 07:56:18 pm »

1. Once you download the Mayday version, just extract it somewhere.
2. go into the RAW folder (of the newly downloaded version) go into Graphics.
3. open another window, go into the data/save/"savename"/raw/graphics of the save file you want to apply graphics to
4. delete graphics files (everything inside the graphics folder) from save, copy the mayday folder, and graphic_example. and paste into graphic folder of save

hopefully this isn't too confusing, this will replace the pictures for dwarves, elves, hummies, etc, but will not change the images for landscape, for that you'll have to go into the init.txt and change what PNG is selected for the "FONT".
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Phildo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:24 pm »

Perfect! Thanks!