Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Organize / Wait for Combat Training  (Read 7024 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Organize / Wait for Combat Training
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

Training is broken.  It just doesn't work as intended.  Like it has been said you have to ignore the scheduled training for now.   However, Individual training is also broken. Normally once a dwarf starts inividual training, they won't ever do anything else again (labor wise,  they will still fight eat and drink). But Individual training is the best way to train up military dwarfs that doesn't involve fighting.

All this info is right there on the wiki and in this forum.

Thanks, I'm just trying to understand this and the wiki hasn't helped entirely. "Setting Dwarves to train will result in them idling instead of training." This, for example, is confusing because my dwarves don't look idle - they watch/perform demonstrations and they do individual training. The ranged squad I created now has a bow dwarf who was "leading archery demonstration" whilst the other was "watching archery demonstration".

Edit:
"The Arsenal Dwarf serves the role of quartermaster; without him your dwarves will be unable to change their equipment" .. I guess that answers my question about weapons!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:30:59 pm by Lightman »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:00 pm »

For now just either give your dwarves no orders at all, or have them patrol/defend. Do not set them to train, as training is broken. If they have no orders they will do individual drills on their own, which will train them up quite quickly.

Once the training classes are fixed then it should work more efficiently than individual drill, but don't bother with training classes at the moment.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 01:58:19 am »

So, 'no orders' seems to effectively put the squad on 'inactive' -- that is, the military dwarves are now listed in their civilian jobs. Just to be sure ... that's what I want?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 08:16:48 am »

meh, I shall use mod workarounds like workshops I make.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 09:04:09 am »

Wow that is stupid, using [sic] Runesmith to upgrade organization [sic] so that they can upgrade dodging.... Just use runesmith and upgrade all their skills(copy and paste) or even give them a lot of attributes so that skill doesn't matter as they would be near impossible to kill(apart from starvation etc).

Actually that's incredibly smart; you just haven't figured it out yet. It's call the scientific method and experimentation. Toady doesn't tell us how this game works, so we have to figure it out ourselves. This is how we do that.

You don't get it, at all. I wasn't trying to increase the stats of my military indirectly. I was trying to figure out if the organization skill had anything to do with "organize combat training."

You get a theory and then you test it. I thought maybe my dwarf was taking a long time to organize combat training because he had no organizer skill. So, I increased Organizer skill to see if it had any effect. I did the same thing with teacher and leader skills. No effect. Thus, that's another piece of evidence to say that training is bugged currently without a non-modding work around (I do training dummy and obstacle course workshop workarounds). It's unfortunate this feature doesn't work. I was trying to figure out why it didn't work.

And, actually, if you're going for pure fort protection with runesmith, it's quite inefficient to upgrade your dwarves that way for combat purposes. Why not just kill your enemies directly with runesmith? Edit kills are the most efficient kills. However, they aren't as satisfying as seeing the dwarves you trained rip things apart.

Think before posting....

P.S. Sizeak, the creator of Runesmith, approves.

I think my I.Q. went up just from reading your post. Is runesmith recommended for newbies?

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »

It's not recomended as you should get some experience not cheating as dwarf fortress is easy when you get the hang of it(In my opinion) but go ahead if you want to, no ones stopping you.

Edit. I only use it if I really need to see a hammerdwarf with 999999 skill in strength and skill knock the goblin off the map or having fun with demons and forgotten beasts, well either that or just get rid of enimies when I'm not in the mood(Urist cancels fight, not in the "mood") such as when making a mega project.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:28:56 pm by Phreak »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »

I think my I.Q. went up just from reading your post. Is runesmith recommended for newbies?

It's not recomended as you should get some experience not cheating as dwarf fortress is easy when you get the hang of it(In my opinion) but go ahead if you want to, no ones stopping you.

Edit. I only use it if I really need to seea hammerdwarf with 999999 skill in strength and skill knock the goblin off the map or having fun with demons and forgotten beasts, well either that or just get rid of enimies when I'm not in the mood(Urist cancels fight, not in the "mood") such as when making a mega project.

Eh, it's a matter of taste and personal preference, especially given that this version is buggy as all get out currently (Don't rush Toady, he's on it). I cheat, but then I'm not new.... Then again, cheating in a new version that's bugged could be quite understandable. Even the great Capt. Duck has had difficulties, because the gobbos come in full clad steel armor very quickly to murder his dwarvves.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGBTNPbUvFM&feature=related
(Take a Look at Part 3 for when they mess him up badly).

In sum, cheating in a one player game is fine, but I personally wouldn't want to get dependent upon it. After all, you'll spend months doing things without cheating. Who has time for that?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:08:19 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 10:13:10 pm »

Gotcha. Thanks guys.
Pages: 1 [2]