Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could not find path/IT'S RIGHT THERE YOU DIMWIT  (Read 1665 times)

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Could not find path/IT'S RIGHT THERE YOU DIMWIT
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:22:47 pm »

I've got a novice stonecrafter with a strange mood wanting cloth, so I thought I'd dig into the caverns and get him some cave spider silk.

This is happening.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone have any ideas? I actually rebuilt the loom down there to make absolutely SURE there wasn't some ramp related weirdness going on. Dwarf walks down there, builds the loom, complains he can't find a path, and goes back to meeting area. The web is two steps away from him! The old door lock/unlock trick does not work and non-weaver dwarves are perfectly able to path to stuff because I just cut down a couple trees and gathered shrubs from the same area.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:56:15 pm by Urist McArtStudent »

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could not find path/IT'S RIGHT THERE YOU DIMWIT
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:30:14 pm »

Hm. I'm not too good at figuring out what's going on, visually, in ASCII (call me a graphics whore), but it does strange. If I recall correctly, there were quite a few pathing issues in deep z-levels in .08. Maybe they're the culprit and evidently haven't been addressed yet?

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »

Basically, I can't get any dwarves to path to webs for collection, even when the loom is built in the cavern, right next door to the webs. Dwarves have no problems reaching the area to do other tasks like tree cutting, mining, etc. Urist McWeaver just hangs around in the meeting area spamming CANNOT FIND PATH.

It's not all that deep either - it's the top of the first cavern layer. It's only 21 z-levels down :\

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:59 pm »

Deep enough, apparently. :P I haven't yet harvested any spider silk so I can't contribute much but I urge anyone that has to; maybe silk collection is bugged in .10?

Beyond that, I'd have to guess your best hope of satisfying your stonecrafter would be growing some pig tails, processing them and weaving the threads (unless he will only accept silk cloth, in which case you're in quite a pickle, provided a caravan carrying any doesn't arrive in time).

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:49:20 pm »

Problem is, my civ is extinct, so if it is silk he wants he's definitely a dead dwarf. Oh well, guess I'll wall him up. I'd have done it already since it's a stonecrafter possession (ugh!) but the guy has tons of friends. Time to redecorate the dining room...

I would still like to hear from anyone who either has or hasn't managed to harvest silk in .10 - is this a known bug?

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:49 pm »

I wouldn't say that bug specifically, but there are definitely some pretty severe pathfinding bugs. If I try to dig a trench around my fort, 30 tiles away from the map edge, on a 5x5 embark, it causes every dwarf on both sides of it to suddenly not be able to path to anything, even things they're standing on.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Lishedir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:46:11 pm »

Sorry if I'm wrong, as I'm also a graphics user, but aren't you using ramps instead of stairways? In which case, you might want to double check that.

Sorry, missed the part where you said you checked for ramps. Might be a bug, though I haven't encountered pathfinding issues underground myself.

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:54:35 pm »

I've seen this happen too, and my guess is that the dwarf is trying to get to some other really far away silk that has been uncovered, but may not be reachable.  What I'd recommend is going to the z->Stocks screen, Forbid all the silk on there, and then manually unForbid the silk pieces nearby.  I've not yet tried this, so it may not work.  ;)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:56:22 pm »

I've found this happens if there is a downward path anywhere on the cavern level. You must reveal it and the other end on the next level to resolve it.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:01:37 pm »

daetrin - so my weaver might be trying to path to an undiscovered cavern layer??

Thanks. I'll send my guys out plant gathering in the name of SCIENCE and see if I can resolve it that way.

Joishi

• Bay Watcher
  • Joishi has withdrawn from society!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 04:05:31 pm »

This happened to me once and, although it took me a while to figure it out, I *did* figure it out.

Here's the problem - there is some web that your worker wants to collect that's blocked off PROBABLY by an underground tree.  That's what happened to me, anyway - and they WON'T change their mind and decide to collect a different patch of webbing.  It'll just sit there until they get access to it.

So the only way around it - you could go forbid all the spiderwebs and then manually unforbid the ones you want to harvest, as was suggested.  Or you could look around the caverns for any spider webs that are blocked in by trees and then designate them to be chopped down.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:00 pm »

It's on the bug tracker, basically your guy is trying to get webs from an area of the caverns you haven't explored yet.  Uncover all the area and he should be dandy.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:25:32 pm »

Another idea that might work.

Build more than one loom.  If your guy is trying to path to some blocked off web, that piece is 'taken'.  If there's a second loom with another collect webs job at the same time as the first, the dwarf going to do that one will go for some other web.  Hopefully an accessible one.  Keep building looms, and letting many or even all dwarves try to collect the silk so they can try to go for different ones - eventually the unreachable webs will all be taken up by the other looms and the next dwarf sent to gather will have to get assigned a possible to reach one.

You likely have more webs than dwarves, so to avoid that problem, once you can tell a loom is sending its dwarf to a no-go web, suspend the task.  That will keep a 'mark' on that specific unaccessible web, so no other loom will send for it.

This behavior can most easily be seen when building a lot of walls, each stone is assigned one spot, period.  Even before there's a dwarf ready to move it, that rock can't even be moved to build something over the spot it sits on, forcing a suspension of building over the rock's spot.  Making the job 'binds up' each specific job item, so you can use this to work around your issue (I believe)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Urist McArtStudent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 05:42:50 pm »

Imp - I built multiple looms, tore down the looms, rebuilt them, etc. trying to get the dwarves to pick a different pathing target... didn't work. That's the point at which I decided to ask the forums for help.

Anyone else who gets this problem, the solution is to explore the caverns. :)

Thanks for the help guys. I can usually figure out pathing glitches but this one had me totally stumped.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 05:14:15 am »

Here's part of the problem:

When a weaver decides to collect a web, they choose from the closest webs to them AT THE TIME THE JOB IS ASSIGNED. What this means - suppose your weaver just finished hauling a dead lizard to refuse. He then decides to collect a web. He chooses the closesest web from his currect location. Remember that each z- level only counts as one step! This means that if there's a web 35 z- levels beneath the refuse pile it will be far closer than the web 2 squares away from the loom (that he must walk 100+ squares to get to).

Forbidding all webs and then reclaiming is a temporary solution, as new webs are constantly being spun. As annoying as it is, you can also cancel and re-assign the collect webs job.

Because of this bug it is almost essential to take off auto-collect of webs from the workshop options menu.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.