Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ice comet generator megaproject?  (Read 1417 times)

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ice comet generator megaproject?
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:17:26 am »

Just an idea:

Would it be possible to pump water up to the higher Z-levels on a map that freezes into a large, suspended form, and when that water freezes drop it at will via lever onto one of your unsuspecting nobles or something? All you'd need to do to reload is start the pumps again.

Is there anything I can build that the ice won't "stick" to if the floor in the form is a retractable bridge? If the form was made out of raised drawbridges forming a square or rectangle would that work?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Ice comet generator megaproject?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:25:43 am »

Dwarfy idea.

To make yourself an ice cavein generator you could probably construct something like this:
WHW
H H
WHW

H is bridge, W is wall, space is a hole.

and above it:
WMW
MWM
WMW

where M is magma to keep the water liquid.

Havnt tried this myself though, I had some problems with stagnant magma not defreezing water in 40d, but that might be solved now. Note that you need to keep magma above or below the water all the way, also while pumping it up. A helical pump stack could work perhaps.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:38:31 am »

If I designated the "ice tray" area as a pond would the area freeze solid if the tile wasn't full?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:49 am »

Yep, 2/7 water or greater will freeze into a full solid ice wall, giving the finger to the law of conservation of mass.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:20 am »

I've always enjoyed the freezing water mechanics in DF, made a number of traps employing them.

I had some problems with stagnant magma not defreezing water in 40d, but that might be solved now. Note that you need to keep magma above or below the water all the way, also while pumping it up. A helical pump stack could work perhaps.

Yeah the bane of my first ice trap, had to redesign the magma chamber to keep the magma moving when I wanted the water to stay liquid. Interactions between magma and some materials has changed with the materials rewrite (wet dwarves melting bug) but I don't know if the stagnant magma bug is fixed. Wasn't aware that you could have the magma above as well as bellow. One thing to remember is you only need to warm the source tiles for the pumps. A design like bellow but in a helical shape, as Grimlocke suggests, should work.

You don't need to heat the water if the tile it's travelling through is subterranean.

#### %%________
         #### %%_##≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈%% #
      #### %%_##≈≈≈≈##########
   #### %%_##≈≈≈≈####       ##
#### %%_##≈≈≈≈####          ##
######≈≈≈≈###################
      ##≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈#
      #########################

If I designated the "ice tray" area as a pond would the area freeze solid if the tile wasn't full?
You'd want to drop the water from two tiles up not one to get it to freeze on impact. That's what I read on the forums anyway, people were using bucket brigades to build forts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands