Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with modding and some questions- WAR TORTOISE  (Read 788 times)

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with modding and some questions- WAR TORTOISE
« on: July 07, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »

Ok so I have a few basic question about modding.  I have never actually done any modding in DF before so if someone could even just point me to a basic guide on creating custom creatures and items etc, that would be appreciated. 

Ok, I want to make a war tortoise that is really big (700-800 lbs?) rather slow, and can be trained to fight and is obviously tamable and purchasable on embark (is this part possible?).

I was also wondering if it was possible to create cavalry.  Dwarfs mounted on a horse or some other animal?  Make it increase or decrease their speed, increase their damage etc...

Other than that is it possible to say in DF where a creatures parts are?  I.e. The tortoise has all of it's organs and it's body etc... in a shell to protect it with just a little bit of the feet and head sticking out.

Lastly, how do you make graphics for something?  I would be fine with just using the symbol that is already used for turtles (I use mayday mike's tileset) but how would I go about calling on that? 

Thanks for any help in advance.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with modding and some questions- WAR TORTOISE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:18 pm »

Ok, I want to make a war tortoise that is really big (700-800 lbs?) rather slow, and can be trained to fight and is obviously tamable and purchasable on embark (is this part possible?).

Other than that is it possible to say in DF where a creatures parts are?  I.e. The tortoise has all of it's organs and it's body etc... in a shell to protect it with just a little bit of the feet and head sticking out.

I'll answer what I can offhand, yes all of this is easily possible with the raws.

df.magamawiki.com will be the best thing you have, as well as the ingame raws. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Creature_tokens

Of those you mentioned.

[BODY_SIZE:X:Y:Z] describes the weight of your creature. X is Years, Y is Days, and Z is the weight. 1000 is approximately 1 kg. So..
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:1000] Means that your creature would weigh 1 kg on birth.
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:10000] Means that your creature would weigh 10 kg at 2 years of age.
[BODY_SIZE:100:0:2000000] Means that your creature would weigh 2000 kg at 100 years of age. etc..

All Training is done at the Kennels and will always say Train War Dog, and you won't get to choose which species if you have multiple trainable species.
[TRAINABLE_HUNTING] Will allow your creature to be trained to Hunt
[TRAINABLE_WAR] Will allow you to train your creature to really Fight
[TRAINABLE] Allows both.

You need these in order to be allowed to purchase on embark as a Pet.
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][PET]

Body Parts themselves are determined by the [BODY:X:X:X] with any number of body parts. You will also need to define tissues and such, I suggest taking the default Turtle bodyparts and tissues to get what you want right now.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:38:27 am »

Ok, thanks for the help. 

When looking at the wiki I noticed the tag pack animal, it said it was just for trading caravans but could you mod your game in such a way that you could use animals to help your dwarves carry things around?  I.e. "assign" an animal trainer dwarf to a bull, oxen, tortoise, really big cat etc... and have it able to carry say 4 or 5 stones while the dwarf leads it around puts the stone on it and takes it off etc?

In the meantime I will start messing around the the raws and try to get a war tortoise,

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:55 pm »

Simple answer is no for both the pack animal and the cavalry portions of your questions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 02:41:02 am »

I am trying to do something very similar (but with carp ;) )  Any tips on how what should be modded specifically?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]